Canon 40D, good deal?

harlequin29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I am curious if I should purchase a Canon 40D body with 8k shutter actuations for $600.

It comes with battery, strap, charger, cd's but no box, and a rubber armor.
It is still under warranty, and the seller has receipt. Not sure if it has been registered.

Is this a good deal? A great deal? or just an average deal.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Also wondering what would be a good suggested first lens. I am interested in the Sigma 10-22mm wide angle.

I am going to use this camera to mostly shoot weddings. Any other suggestions for lenses or anything please let me know.

Thanks!

Well, first of all, this is the wrong forum to post this in :p

$600 is actually a pretty decent deal. I bought my 40D last year for $850 CAD and sold it for about a hundred bucks less about 3 months ago, so this is not too bad considering it's only got 8k on the shutter.

As far as the "first lens" goes... I wouldn't go with a 10-22mm wide angle... You won't have much reach, and everything is gonna be shot wide angle, meaning distortion. I think you might get bored of that pretty soon. For a crop body though, I would HIGHLY recommend Canon 15-85mm F3.5-5.6 IS lens from the 7D kit. I have the 7D plus that "kit" lens, but let me tell you, that lens absolutely KICKS ASS. It's so unbelievably sharp, sharper than my co-workers 24 F1.4 L prime lens. And this guy knows what he's talking about considering he's been in the business for 20 plus years testing lenses and cameras and dealing with professional photographers.

So anyway, if I were in your spot, I would go that route. I think that will be a great combination. The 15-85mm will probably be a bit more of course, but it's definately worth the money.

My 2 cents.

Most reactions

Back