Canon 40D good idea for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Alter_Ego, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Alter_Ego

Alter_Ego TPF Noob!

Thinking of getting Canon 40D after reading reviews saying its a good choice for a beginner. Ill be taking mostly landscape photos of beaches, jungle and hill top fews and also a few close ups and nightlife photos.

Is this camera suitable for me?

2. Alphaem

Alphaem TPF Noob!

I think all Canon and Nikon and for that matter most major camera brands make cameras that will do a great job for you. I would go to Best Buy or a camera store that has it in stock and have it demonstrated for you and also where you can hold it and try out it's features to see if you like it.

3. redonyx

redonyx TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My first DSLR was a low end Nikon and I spent the whole time wanting something better. I would have to say that if I were to do it all over again, I would probably go for the 40D.

4. BIG RYAN

BIG RYAN TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    being a total photography noob myself i bought a canon t1i, dont get me wrong its a great camera but i cant help feeling like i should have bought a 40d... if you can afford it i say go ahead and buy it, look at it this way you want a camera for photography so clearly your interested in it, why settle for anything you feel may not be enough for what you want to do. if the 40d is enough then the decision has already been made... plus its an all round good camera

5. Alter_Ego

Alter_Ego TPF Noob!

cheers ill definitely pick one up.

6. pharmakon

pharmakon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got a 50d as my first dSLR, Haven't regretted it a bit. I say go for it as long as your budget is there. You can always grow into the features, and won't have as much to to re-learn how to operate (control layout wise) if you ever upgrade to the xD series.

7. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, i didnt expect all the agreements.

I would suggest a XSI to start, it can do alot, great camera, I used it for 2 years, didnt feel like I needed to upgrade, but had some money so I did. The XSI is alot easier to use IMO. I say start there, but if you have the money, and time to learn everything it does, go for it.

8. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, the 40D is a GREAT body. It's destine to be a Canon classic. The prices are right these days and it produces beautiful images. It also has a more pro build quality (metal vs. plastic). I say it's a great place to start.

9. Mike A.

Mike A. TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yup.....bought my 40D about 2 years ago. very happy with it. also
    got the 28-135mm kit.
    i'm still beginning.

(still can't figger out where to plug the cord in....110volt or 220volt??) arrrrrrr!

10. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Here's my thinking: If you're totally new (which I'm assuming since you said, "beginner"), why start out with something so expensive? I started out back in 2002 with a Canon point-and-shoot camera, the ol' S30, and it served me very well for about 2-3 years. By that point, I'd advanced enough to where I needed the flexibility and control that only an SLR would offer, so I bought my Rebel, which was the 350D at the time (Rebel XT, I think). It, too, served me very well for 4 years. It was only in the last year or so that I felt that I was again at the point where I needed even more control and features that a better body would offer, so I was going to get the rumored 60D when Canon came out with the 7D, which is what I bought (and am very happy with).

My point is that if you're a beginner, you may be enthusiastic and all, but if you get a DSLR with a bunch of functionality that you won't know how to use, you may feel overwhelmed, and for that and possibly other reasons, you may decide that you don't actually want to pursue photography much. Then you'll've wasted the money when you would've been happier with a more portable and cheaper point-and-shoot.

11. Alter_Ego

Alter_Ego TPF Noob!

Your exactly right i actually got the prices wrong when i went back to recheck its actually $600 more then i thought it was so i wont be going with the 40D (til i gain some experience)

At the moment im looking for something compact but useful. Looking at a bunch of the Canon powershots like the SX1 IS which is looking good but still a little pricey.

Im going to do a lot of indoor and outdoor photos so a camera that can capture wide shots outside that wont let the lighting ruin the photo (Im not sure if thats the exposure?) Also i have to take indoor tight spaces so i need to be able to capture that too.

Those will be its main uses but of course ill use it for nightlife and close up shots.

I also love that shutter effects with all the streaming lights.

12. ilovemy50d

ilovemy50d TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I started with the Rebel XS and with in six months upgraded to a 50d...but I'm also working as photographer and the XS isn't considered 'professional grade' So I had to upgrade in order to be eligible for more opportunities. I still love my rebel. I think it just depends what you want to do with your photography...