Canon 40D vs. Nikon D300

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by david3558, Mar 25, 2008.

1. david3558

david3558 TPF Noob!

I have finally saved up enough money for either camera and lens (Canon 40D/Nikon D300). Obviously due to the sheer price difference I could spend a bit more on the lens for the Canon than the D300.

Having sold my previous DSLR, I am not exactly constrained to any particular lenses that I own, but I do have a Nikon-compatible Sigma DC 18-200mm OS HSM.

I really can't decide which camera to go for, and which one is the best "bang for the buck". I am moving up from the D40x, so I want a camera which can do a bit more than my D40x could. If possible please suggest a reasonably priced lens which is good for all-around use.

Thanks so much!

2. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here is a better question.

What kind of glass do you plan on putting in front of them?

3. david3558

david3558 TPF Noob!

I don't know exactly which lenses, but I know I want a fast prime (50mm/28mm), and a relatively fast wide-angle/zoom lens.

4. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good, if you were planning on putting mediocre glass on either of the cameras, it would be foolish.

But since you plan on having good glass, i would say D300. Why? Well you already have a lens for it, and while its not a "great" lens, it still works for some stuff. Also i have heard that the ISO suppression on the D300 is better.

5. david3558

david3558 TPF Noob!

Ok thanks for the suggestion. I will look into other lenses for sure. I've used a 50mm 1.4 before, but I don't know what the difference between the 1.4 and 1.8 would be.

6. Derek_Caven99

Derek_Caven99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the 1.8 better believe it or not. I find the 1.4 to be much softer. Just my opinion tho

7. federerphotography

federerphotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The standard response is: Pick the system, then you know what camera to get.

That having been said, you have a nikon lens and the D300 is a killer camera - weddings, events, sports, you name it.

8. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They're both great cameras and they're both great systems, but I'd probably lean towards picking a D300. In the comparative reviews that I've read about these 2 cameras they always seem to favor the Nikon.

You can get outstanding results with either though, for sure. (look at TCimages for incredible 40d shots, and there are plenty of D300 shooters on this board that shoot good shots)

I think for the 1.4 vs 1.8 you may want to go for the 1.4. If you already have a fancy body like a D300 you should buy the best glass possible, and the 1.4 is supposed to be even better than the 1.8. (the build quality of the 1.4 is supposed to be much better than the 1.8 also)

9. KOrmechea

KOrmechea TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If it were me, I'd go with the newer technology.

On another note, after using the D40, you'll probably be a little more familiar with the D300 at the start (though I'm sure their will be a decent sized learning curve either way).

Of course, nothing beats trying them both out and seeing how you like them.

Good luck, I wish I was in your shoes...

10. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've used both before and the 40D is like any other 10/20/30D with a 3 inch LCD and live view while the D300 is like a D200 with a bigger LCD and 51-point AF.

Walk into a shop that stocks both and use both of them. The 40D might make sense to you, the D300 might make more or less sense.

Personally, I don't particularly enjoy the ergonomics of the 40D.

11. STINKY PICTURES

STINKY PICTURES TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have the 40D and I love it, its easy to use and takes great pictures. Its so easy to learn and the settings make picture taking fun. I love the feel of the camera too.

12. rooky

rooky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    what should the body on these run? I have seen so many diffferent price ranges

B&H may be very trustworthy but arent they a little high too? Just asking