Canon 40D...what zoom lens?

N'Kolor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay so I bought a Canon 40D with the 28-135mm lense. I would like to get something (affordable) in about the 70-300mm size. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

what do you call affordable? I say the Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L. Just under $600 and you get an L series lens, helping you get more out of your 40D.

One more thing...I will be visiting Puerto Rico and two US Virgin Islands in the coming weeks. I would like to get a lens long enough to get good close-up shots of natives without bothering them to get close.

I am looking at a 200mm fixed f/2.8 lens. What do you think about this choice?

The Canon 200mm F2.8 L, is a fantastic lens...I can't imagine that you would be disappointed with the quality of it. Although, the 70-200mm zoom lenses are so good, that it I'd recommend one of them over the 200mm....which may be limiting. It's not a cheap lens though....or did you find a cheaper model?

I do like that lens and the price is good. Um, how well will it work for wildlife photography? Is 200 really long enough?

I do like that lens and the price is good. Um, how well will it work for wildlife photography? Is 200 really long enough?

for wildlife, lenses are never long enough ;)

I shoot with a 300mm on full frame (similar to 200 on a 40D), while it is not always as long as I want it to be, many times it is sufficient.

Of course it depends on the kind of wildlife, there will always be situations when the lens is too short.

Well since wildlife is something I am only slightly interested in, maybe a 200 is more what I should shoot for. I am really looking to be able to shoot people from across a street and the 135 just isn't long enough.

What about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens?

What about the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens?
It's a pretty decent lens, but it's big and heavy (as is the Canon 70-200 F2.8).

If you are shooting sports or weddings, I would say that F2.8 is a big advantage over F4...but if you are shooting wildlife and people on the street...I'd suggest the 70-200 F4. It's a fantastic lens and it's much smaller and lighter than the F2.8 versions.

You can always get the 1.4x TC for the 70-200 4L for a little added length and you'll still me able to use AF. It does make it a 5.6 lens though but for outdoor shooting in good light that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the advise everyone!

Yesterday I purchased a Canon 70-300 lens and I took it out today to see what it could do. Reach = great! and I thought, this is exactly what I was looking for. I then took my card of wildlife photos to my computer and DL'd them. The shots at 300 were terrible at best. I went by my camera store that I bought it at and returned it.

I looked at the L series lenses yesterday but decided on the 70-300 IS. Well I went back and they still didn't have a f4L non-IS so I bought the f4L IS!

We'll see what it does!

Most reactions

Back