Canon 40D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidharmier60

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Not sure when or even if I will be able to get one. I know it's only 10.1 MP. I know about crop factor. I have an effective 30.4-56 lense for it.
The reason for this model over something newer is the feel of it. It feels tough as nails.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It's not "only 10.1MP". Your 40D is just a tool and as long as it fits your needs, it's ok to use it.
Though I'm pretty sure there are more "tough as nails" camera models out there.

The 40d is still in my opinion a great camera. Tough, fast and feels great. Newer sensor technology has surpassed it, so it won't have as high resolution or as good low light performance as newer models, but many have and will continue to take great photos with this camera

I have been doing research. Looking at EF-s lenses. And they all (at least two so far) speak of differing focal lengths when mounted on an APS-C camera.
I THOUGHT that was what EF-s means. What gives?

One set of numbers is the actual focal length of the lens. The larger set of numbers are the effective focal length when combining with the crop factor of the sensor.

So. Do the AF-s lenses have less than 1.6x? or is there no need for me to try and get any AF-s?

So. Do the AF-s lenses have less than 1.6x? or is there no need for me to try and get any AF-s?

NO. The size of the sensor on the camera causes the 1.6x. A Canon 1D has a 1.3 crop factor. The lens for example 10-22mm EF-s is physically a 10mm to 22mm zoom lens by actual measurements. But on a 40D the final picture will be like a 16mm to 35mm zoom lens was used. With EF-s the s means the lens is designed for crop sensor cameras and the image circle of the lens is designed for those smaller sensors. They will mount on a full frame camera. But you will either get a vignette or use the full frame cameras in crop mode.

Sheesh! Will my Phoenix 19-35 be reasonable at 30-56 actual or will I have to have a 10-? To get wide pictures?

Sheesh! Will my Phoenix 19-35 be reasonable at 30-56 actual or will I have to have a 10-? To get wide pictures?

Well for my APS-C Nikons 1.5x crop. I have a 11-16 lens for ultra wide pictures. So it's effective is 16.5mm x 24mm. On a full frame 14mm is ultra wide with 13mm being about the widest non fisheye that I know of. 13mm being very expensive. So a Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 10-20mm zoom would get you your widest shots on your 40D. Tokina makes a good 11-20mm as well (my 11-16 is the original version of the new one).

Your Phoenix 19-35 will be considered a "normal, or standard" zoom in terms of angle of view on your 40D.

So as soon as possible after getting a 40D I should try to get an AF-s 10 to something.

So as soon as possible after getting a 40D I should try to get an AF-s 10 to something.

If you really want a wide angle of view. Yes. Canon, Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron all make lenses for APS-C sensor cameras down to 10mm to 12mm for the widest end of zoom.

I guess it goes without saying that in any given MP such as 10 that Nikon would be better (at least in poor light) than Canon.

Since my Sigma 70-300 APO Macro has a hazy rear element it is bright light only. And maybe not even that. If I watch EBay I can probably get a Nikon with a few lenses for a reasonable price. Even if it's a film Nikon the lenses will work right?

1.56x is the crop factor
*On Nikon's

I have a whopping $20 put aside for it.
If anyone has a 20, 30 or 40D they don't need, think of me... please.

I have a 30D - its my first DSLR , Ive resisted the digital move for a long time ! I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a new cameras but its doing the job in converting my brain over , its built like a tank and reminds me of some of the older film slrs - which cant be bad !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back