Canon 50 f1.8

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by pugnacious33, Nov 25, 2009.

1. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Talk about bang for your buck! I picked up one of these off KEH for 80 bucks, it is virtually brand new. I got aggravated trying to figure out which zoom to fill the gap between my 10-20 and my 100-400, I was kinda set on a tamron 28-75 but then decided I wanted a prime and a macro. Not sure about the macro but knew i'd use the heck out of this thing. I love the bokeh on this thing, though I wasn't expecting to, I can see myself using this for portraits. I played around with it some this afternoon, here are a few samples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since im a Nikon lover I dont know much about the Canon version but nikon makes a 50mm 1.8 which is great as well for 120$. Talk about bang for your buck. The bokeh is amazing.

Are you looking for critique? I'm curious as to if your posting for comments about the photos or not.

3. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not really looking for CC, but if you feel the urge, have at it. :) These are just a few snapshots I took, messing around with the lens just after it arrived. I was pretty pleased with the bokeh, sharpness, and color/contrast.

4. iolair

iolair No longer a newbie, moving up!

Hi, what body are you using those on? Did you do much in post, or are those close to how they came out of the camera?

The first flower still looks a little soft to me - maybe you were too close? (Minimum focus distance of 45cm with that lens, I think?). I agree, the bokeh looks great - lots of people criticise the bokeh on the 1.8 compared to its more expensive cousins because of the five-leaf aperture, but I like it on your first image - though it definitely has its own "character" compared to the other lenses.

I'm getting my Canon 50/f1.8 next weekend :) looking forward to entering the world of super-sharpness... (until I can eventually afford the 85/f1.4!)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  5. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've had mine for about a year but only recently started using it a lot. That said, I use it a LOT. It's almost always on my camera. Great lens.

6. Tighearnach

Tighearnach TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    love number 2. cracker.....

7. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a 50D body. The only PP I did on these was a crop on the first one and the bw conversion/contrast adjustment on the second.

The first one is a bit soft because I shot it in low light hand held, just wanted to see how the bokeh would turn out. I'm satisfied.

I was really impressed with the close focus. I think it will really add to the versatility.