Canon 500D close-up lens used with the Nikon 18-200 VR lens

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My new Canon 500D close-up lens just arrived and it seems that I'm going to have plenty of fun with it. I'll use it with my Nikon 18-200 VR lens, hoping that the setup will allow me to emulate a macro lens (without having to carry one, and without having to change lenses back and forth, thus protecting my sensor from dust).

Hurried first photo (50% crop):

I'm planning on driving 4 hours to the International Peace Garden this weekend, to shoot flowers (and maybe insects) with my new toy. Will I hit the ground running with this setup (superzoom + close-up lens)? Or is there a learning curve that I should be aware of before heading out? (Wouldn't want to come back and find out that all my images are blurred/out of focus/etc.)

Is there anybody out there who could give me some advice?

Your help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Canon and Nikon === together?
What unholy monster have you made??

Regardless that is a good result there - very good!
Here is my little post on getting flower shots - this is how I get mine with a macro:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127164

you look to be getting much more 1:1 macro with that lens combo, so you can go silly with playing with the insides of flowers as well :)

One thing I will say is that a tripod (or if its a busy event a monopod) is very very usefull with getting sharp, clear shots.

Wow, great photo. What aperture did you use? I was expecting there to be this miniscule section of the photo that was actually in focus :p. I'm currently thinking of getting a macro lens, but after seeing that I might just get a Canon close-up filter for my 18-55...

Ahh! So many choices!

For those of you who are still confused, (i just found this out myself), the 500D is a close up filter :D I guess this might be why they chose to go for 1000D instead of 500D for the new XS.
800px-Close-Up_lens_Canon_500D_58_mm.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Overread, I've printed out your settings and I'll try them this weekend.

GwagDesigns, I see you changed your post (the original looked nothing like this one ;)).

I have one of these in 77mm size and it works great on my Nikkor 70-300VR. On that sucker at 300mm it does almost the full 1:1 macro. It's like 1:1.1 or something. Works good enough for me! Nikon stopped making their close-up adapters so everybody is using the Canons now in Nikon land.

Hey Mav, thanks for your reply. Good to see a fellow Nikonian with this Canon lens here. Is there anything I should take into account before heading out of the city to shoot "almost macros" this weekend? I appreciate your help.

DSC_8094d-vi.jpg

From my daughter's 1st birthday party.... the whole cake

DSC_3690_D40d-vi.jpg

and at 300mm close focus + Canon 500D, bounced SB-600 flash
DSC_8124_D80d-vi.jpg

one last set....

My 70-300VR standalone, this is the closest it would get.
DSC_8055-vi.jpg

And then with the 500D
DSC_8053-vi.jpg

There appears to be almost no (or very very little) loss in overall quality to those shots taken with the 500D - very impressive

Mav, great sample images!

I've just done a bit more testing myself.

This much is clear so far:

1) The degree of detail with this setup is comparable to that of a macro lens (although I'm not sure about the sharpness, but I can't complain).

2) I am not going to get much depth of field, regardless of the aperture.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I really like your pics! I also have a Nikon 70-300 VR, as well as the 300 f4 AF-S, and was thinking of getting a close up filter for these. But I wonder what focusing distance do you have with the 500D?

Thx!

Hi all,

I really like your pics! I also have a Nikon 70-300 VR, as well as the 300 f4 AF-S, and was thinking of getting a close up filter for these. But I wonder what focusing distance do you have with the 500D?

Thx!

I found myself focusing somewhere between 1 and 2 inches from the subject this last weekend. Thirty sample images here.

Most reactions

Back