• 15.1 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • 6.3fps continuous shooting, max. burst 90 JPEGs with UDMA card
  • DIGIC 4 processor
  • ISO 100-3200, expandable to 12800
  • 9-point wide area AF
  • 3.0” Clear View VGA LCD with Live View mode & Face Detection Live AF
  • Magnesium alloy body, with environmental protection
  • EOS Integrated Cleaning System
  • HDMI connection for high quality viewing and playback on a High Definition TV
  • Full compatibility with Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites

Interesting.

It doesn't compare very well against the D700 in many important ways (significantly lower max ISO likely due to the higher megapixels, a much more limited AF system -- 9 points vs 51), hopefully it will be considerably cheaper than the Nikon...

Wouldn't Canon's competitor to the D700 be their 5D follow-up?

I'm impressed that they included things like the weather-sealing, the customized menu, and the spot removal via location registration. Also, as expected, has the dirt shake-off for cleaner sensors (which doesn't work) and LiveView, which rocks when shooting landscapes and architecture.

I don't like cropped sensors, but it looks like a good feature set.

Ohhh, I wanted the 40D now I want the 50D :)...Awesome new processor, Digic IV instead of III... I wanna know the price of the 50D!! Or even the price of the 40D now!!!

Ya, the 5D is pretty old, still a good camera, but old, well the 5D should be next, all others have been updated except the 5D...go figure

What is Nikon's competing model actually? The D300?

Thats pretty surpising they would release this considering how new the 40d is.

No kidding.

Looking at the specs, it seems to be basically a D300 that's not sealed, neutered AF, 3 more MP, and can shoot at ISO 12,000 (I bet it looks flat-out horrible with a 15MP APS-C sensor, 25000 at 12MP on a 35mm sensor looks bad).

hmm....

The 5DmkII would have been a better move considering how amazing the D700 is.

I still can't work out why canon cameras have that instant printing feature - a waste of a good button (mirror lock up!)
I don't know if I like this camera yet - Nikon appears to still be offering more though the MP boost in this is interesting, will be more interesting to see how it performs with regard to noise.

and I die a little bit more inside

Very interesting. I really like the battery grip with the wireless feature.

I wonder the pricing on the 50D and the drop on the 40D. I just bought the 40D kit with 28-135mm. Better not be too much of a drop. When do they release this info?

Very interesting. I really like the battery grip with the wireless feature.

The feature that cost as much as the actual camera you mean?

that price-tag made me really appreciate my 15 meter active usb cable setup for tethered shooting :D

As for the pricing, in sweden there are two different entities that are advertising the body for about 1200 euros. So it's about the same as the 40D (i know. not what you want to hear ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back