Canon 50D Announced

Until Canon updates their autofocus technology, they can keep on marketing new cameras. Meanwhile, Nikon will be kicking our butt!

Face recognition????????????? Surely not a must in a pros camera selection. Its the cheesy bells and whistles that sell cameras to unknowing people.

Big Mike, I guess I spoke a little sideways...LOL. It is a significant upgrade. Curious to see more tests and real world posts later.

Derrick

psssst the swedish reviewer (bird photographer) has rated the af excelent - though a more indepth translation would be ideal

psssst the swedish reviewer (bird photographer) has rated the af excelent - though a more indepth translation would be ideal

LOL

I know it sounds like I am complaining (I likely am). I just have to keep telling myself that Canon (and every other company) is in it for the money. They gotta sell cameras!

As another note, I am completely happy with my Canon system. Now lets advance the full frame market!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derrick

Until Canon updates their autofocus technology, they can keep on marketing new cameras. Meanwhile, Nikon will be kicking our butt!
From what I've heard, the AF on the 40D was really good. Especially for a $1200 camera. I assume the 50D is the same or better.

Up until the fiasco with the 1D mk III, I'd never really heard of any issues with Canon's AF system.

Just less points than Nikon.

Derrick

Not only less points, but a LOT less points... and unless the new one has changed, the coverage area for the AF points is significantly less than on the D300.

Those points make a HUGE difference in nailing focus.

Everyone is bashing the face detection, but if you think about what that technology could offer, it may be a huge deal. Maybe they can work a way to vary the iso across the sensor in order to expose the whole image better. You may even eventually be able to manually control it. It may provide variable autofocus points.

I think there seems to be an overall sentiment that people on these forums only want what was available on fully mechanical film cameras. Every new feature that moves its way from P&S cameras seems to be regarded as a waste of money or a compromise on quality, when if fact, it may be that it just took the engineers a few extra years to improve those technologies to the point where they would be viable on professional and prosumer cameras.

Face detection? My goodness!

30D vs 40D ... BIG difference in AF. The 40D is so much more sensitive in low light.

Hoping the change for digicIII to digicIV will make the 50D that much better. I'm guessing they need the IV due to increase in pixels?

"face detection" - maybe this will take care of the "focus", "recompose" thingy? I've never had probs doing it but hear some have.

I think 40D was around $1500 when it first came out so same price point for 50D is acceptable.

Wish they can exchange (get rid of) print button function for Nikon's Commander (I think that's what they call their flash controller thing). Actually, I will be happy if they make print button "programmable".

I'm kind of excited about 50D enchancements - mean they have to up the ante when they introduce the 5DMkII. Canon should not worry about taking sales from their 1D/1Ds cameras. Canon need to worry about losing sales to D300/D700.

The 50D costs $1299 versus $1800 or $3200. So, one would expect it to have fewer features. It is not meant to compete that closely with the D300 or step anywhere remotely close to the D700. That will be ground for the new 5D to tread whenever it gets released, and considering Canon's history, it should do just that.

No the 50D isn't groundbreaking, but they had to think pretty damn quickly and try to come out with something so it doesn't look like they are snoozing. What I really get a kick out of is all the pre-madonnas on the dpreview forums that are slitting their wrists because Canon hasn't released something that competes with Nikon's new lineup. There's all this dramatic "I'm going to stomp my feet and jump ship unless we has a better camera than Nikon", and it's hilarious.

I like my Canon, and I still think I'd like it better than something chock full of bells and whistles that I don't use.

bells and whistles dont hurt you. stop complaining... your being selfish :)

Here's what I want to see -

1600 on the 40D
-compares to-
???? on the 50D

when it comes to IQ and noise control

But the 40D and 50D have a fast frame per second rate, so why not put more effort (see research and developement) into the autofocusing system and have 50 plus points so that AI servo mode works better? What is the use of 6.5 frames per second if 1 shot is in focus?

Derrick

Haven't had many issues with my 30D and it's AF performance. Nothing I'd complain about. Yeah, I've missed some shots, but more often I miss shots due to lack of shutter speed. I'll have my f/2.8 lens on and ISO cranked to 3200 and my pics turn out blurry because of moving subjects. If ISO 6400 is comparable to 3200 on the 40D, I'll pre-order a 50D and put my 30D up for sale.

Most reactions

Back