Canon 50D Help.

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Erin Kathleen, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Erin Kathleen

Erin Kathleen TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello Everyone. :)

I've asked this question before to some, and most are very cruel people who will not help me no matter what. So I came here. If I could get an answer from someone who knows my camera, the 50D, I would love it!

I've been into photography for almost four years now. I have ideas, I know the basics, etc. However, as far as an SLR goes, I'm still quite the beginner. I have a Canon EOS 50D, and I would like to know how to get this kind of picture with it:

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m66/KadajsFunToy/Love_us_by_6Artificial6.jpg

This person has a 40D camera, the same 50mm 1.4 lens that I have. Actually, he is what inspired me to get the 50D.
    This picture was taken at 1/99 second
    F stop 2.8
    ISO: 160

I was told that perhaps he uses an auto setting on his 40D (like the AV, TV or P setting), which is why his shutter speed is a strange number. Well, I tried using those settings and this is what I got:

[​IMG]

That image is kind of blurry, but overall you can see what I'm talking about. The overall quality is different. You can see how his is more professional looking, even though minor editing is placed on his photo, and he has the same equipment as I do.

I'm getting extremely frustrated with this, and I just don't know what to do. I have so many ideas, but I can't put them into my camera until I figure out how to make the photos look like his, professional, crisp, mature.

Please, help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
  2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    He was further from his subjects than you were.

The subject to lens distance effects the depth of field (DOF) particularly when it is so shallow from a large aperture of f/2.8.

His subjects are much closer to being in a single plane parallel to the image sensor and better fit into the shallow DOF.

In your image the top of your subjects head is much closer to the lens than his chin. The top of his head is sticking out the front of the DOF. Of course, the quality of the light is also different. The first look to be made in studio and yours looks to be made with available light outdoors.

Actually, your camera has little to do with the problem.

I'm sorry if the truth seems cruel to you, but that's the reality.

You can find an online Depth of Field Calculator here.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  3. Erin Kathleen

Erin Kathleen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh no, it's not cruel at all. Actually, that was probably a really bad example of a picture to use. No matter where I'm standing, my pictures look like less quality than what I would like.

My pictures are always crisp, but they just don't look like..that...it's very hard to explain. It's something I've struggled with for the entirety of these few years.

4. JFew

JFew TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "I'm sorry if the truth seems cruel to you, but that's the reality."

No, that's not cruel, but the way it was said is. That level of sardonicism is uncalled for. There's no reason to be a jerk to somebody that just wants to learn.

Erin - just between the two shots you posted, a plethora of things are different. First, his appears to be shot in a studio with controlled lighting. Second, the models appear to have make-up on. Third, there's a linear background color in the image, which is far less distracting to the eye. Fourth, his color settings are flat...yours are more realistic.

5. Erin Kathleen

Erin Kathleen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hmm...That makes a lot of sense. With the make up and what not...but more or less, I definitely think it's the color settings. You're absolutely right. Is there a way to do that on the 50D? I read the manual and it doesn't really help at all haahaah.

Thanks for your help. :)

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The big difference is lighting. The camera (model) doesn't really matter all that much.

7. christm

christm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I also have a 50D, as the others have said its lighting that is different in the two photos. Your photo of the bloke is very 'casual' even if it is posed, the 2 girls shot is very professional and studio like - infact I believe it is shot in a studio.

If your looking for the same kind of look that the photo with the 2 girls had, try using an external flash or even more than one - even a neutral light - desk light ?

Practice makes perfect. Don't give up.

8. RThomas

RThomas TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Can you work around the limitations of outdoor lighting by putting out white sheets or something on the ground (out of frame) to help get the 'studio style' look the example photo had via reflected light?

9. Erin Kathleen

Erin Kathleen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ooh wow...amazing suggestions. Thanks so much, guys.

10. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The type shot you are looking for is Called High Key. The shot you posted was shot on a white backdrop with most likely a 4 light setup with reflector. His shot was taken with an abundant supply of light which creates the whitening effect. A high key shot is the style most studio photographers shoot though each individual style is different respectively to each photographer. Research "High Key Photography" and you should be able tpo learn what it takes to develop that particular look and feel.
    Hope this help. PM me with any questions. :)

Daniel

11. Erin Kathleen

Erin Kathleen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ah!! Thank you so much!

12. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

Try Strobist.com . Start with lighting 101 and work your way through their lessons. It's a very informative site for beginners. It is based on using flashes. But the principles and use are the same with studio lights. Very good site. Give it a look.