Canon 50D or 500D (Rebel T1i) advice

tunapala

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everybody.
First of all I want to explain why I am asking his question.
I am not new to photograph and I used several cameras. Before I prefer to use 35mm cameras for my photo shoots. But actually I moved another country almost 2 years ago and I didn' satisfied with fast develop shops and serious places were too expensive. And I bought my first digital camera for trying digital photography. I was a Sony DSLR-A700. After a year of taking photos with this camera I decide to I like digital cameras and their advantages. and a few weeks ago I decided to buy a new one. I wanted to buy a 5D Mk II but it is too much for my budeget for now. So I agree to buy a 50D then Canon shown up with 500D (T1i).

I checked their technial specs from canon and other several sites and they have alot of common issues. but small differences. Now I try to figure out why I will need a 50D.

I make asmall list here for similarities and differences. And I am waiting for your advices and comments.

Similarities:
  1. Same CMOS sensors APS-C 22.3 x 14.9 mm
  2. Same resolution 15.1 MP and same pixel denisty
  3. Same ISO setting
  4. Same AF points (9 Point AF)
  5. Same LCD
Advantage of 50D:
  1. 6.3 fps Continous Shoot (3,4 at T1i)
  2. Pentaprism (T1i has pentamiror)
  3. Magnesium Body
  4. LCD Indicator at the top of the camera
Advantage of 500D
  1. Light Weight as 560gr (50 D is 870 gr)
  2. HD Movie (It is not an issue for me)
  3. Cheaper (Price difference of the bodies are 400 USD)
  4. Noise performance (I am not sure about it but I saw a web site please check it actually noise performance is too important for me.)http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ra-Review.aspx
So If you have more information or experience about these two cameras, Please help me to decide. High ISO performance is one of the mostimportant things for me since I like to take night photographs without enough light.

Also you can see side by side spec comperision from here.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...s500d&show=all
If giving this link is forbiden plese let me know and I can remove them...

Specs are meaningless unless you have specific issues that matter to you. What do you shoot? Where has your current camera disappointed you? For instance, I don't care how many AF points my camera has, as I turn them all off and use the center one only. Also, FPS only matters if you're shooting sports and wildlife. If you're shooting architecture or landscapes it doesn't matter, the mountains aren't running out of the frame.

The weight is irrelevant, because the lenses are much heavier.

Why do you need a new camera? The Sony is better than the 500D, regardless of the specs. You already have a very good camera. Even the 50D is not a whole lot better than the A700 on your desk.

Save for the 5D Mk II, or stick with the Sony system. Get the new Sony A900, a wonderful camera and your lenses already fit that.

Ultimately, I have found the best way to evaluate a camera is to go to a store, and hold them in my hand. See what the menus are like, how do I access the fundtions I use, what feels right?

OK First of all thanks to IRON but I think I couldn't explain my question well enough. I know "If you know the light you can take a good photograph by a pinhole camera". Also I take photo almost for 15 years. Just I didnt have enough history with digital world.

Actually I have to change my A700 system since it drop and after maintanance I could'nt take same performance. And my beatifoul amateur wife wants a camera :D
As I said at my first post except some photographs assignments, I like to take my personal photos at night without any special lightining equipment like flashes etc...
And especially If you work behind or on the satege performance sometimes you need to use higher ISO setting. With 35 mm I can use 800 ISO with nice grain B-W or Nice positive films. but I get too much problems with my old A700 and now I am looking for better perfomance with my limited budget. I write specs because I want to say I knew these issues and I want to give a brief at the begining. Unluckyly I don't have time for waiting for 60D or saving money for 5D Mk II

Grab a used 5d mark 1. Sounds like you need some high ISO performance for theater type events. If ISO 800 is all you need, then grab a 50D. I will never go back to the Rebel line because of the all plastic body and size, but that is a person preference.

Most reactions

Back