canon 50D

gtaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An elf told me I might be getting a Canon 50D under the tree.

If true, I'll be delighted, but am concerned about some issues that I've read about it. Like high ISO noise???!!!!

Is it really that much better than the 40D?

I'll have a lot of learning to do, I'm coming from a Rebel XT, which by the way I absolutely love.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I have heard some whining about the 50D...but that wasn't from people who own it. I know a few photographers who have one...and they love it.

I don't know how much better it is, than the 40D. A little, but not a whole lot...seems to be the consensus.

It seems to me that Canon is milking the 20D thru 50D line. There are upgrades, but nothing major in each one. I have a 20D. And when the 30D came out it was the same thing. Just a bit better but nothing major. If you have a 40D I am not so sure its worth moving up unless you can get a good deal and are selling the 40. So your not really paying that much more. Or maybe you want a 2nd body. But paying out the money for the few benefits, I am not too sure about. I am ready to modify the 20D for full time IR, so I will probably get another Canon body. But I think I am going to move up to the Canon single digit line. ;)

Thats what I've read... if you have a 40D, don't upgrade to a 50D. If you are buying into the line, then pick up the 50D.

I have an XSI, so can't really give any actual advice haha

It seems to me that Canon is milking the 20D thru 50D line. There are upgrades, but nothing major in each one.
That's typical for the other lines as well...not to mention most other camera companies as well. The don't want to cannibalize sales of their higher level models. If they made the XXD line too good, nobody would buy a 5D or 1D.

The 50D is fairly impressive. I used it when it first came out and took test shots at ISO 3200. It is slightly worse than the 5D Mark I in this regard. At ISO 1600 it is better than the original 5D. Keep in mind I am comparing it to a full-frame camera also. With my 40D, I rarely shot over ISO 400. On the 50D, I would not even mind going up to ISO 800 and even 1600. Images are very usable at those ISO's. The larger MP count and AF micro-adjustment is a nice bonus. Can't complain about the 6.3fps.

If it's free, take it!

As far as ISO performance, I've heard that on a pixel level the 50D is noisier then the 40D, but if you were to compare prints of equal size the 50D would be the better camera. And isn't that what matters?

It seems to me that Canon is milking the 20D thru 50D line. There are upgrades, but nothing major in each one. I have a 20D. And when the 30D came out it was the same thing. Just a bit better but nothing major. If you have a 40D I am not so sure its worth moving up unless you can get a good deal and are selling the 40. So your not really paying that much more. Or maybe you want a 2nd body. But paying out the money for the few benefits, I am not too sure about. I am ready to modify the 20D for full time IR, so I will probably get another Canon body. But I think I am going to move up to the Canon single digit line. ;)

You do make a fair point and admittedly the difference between one model and its predecessor is minimal and not worth the money. However I have a 20D thats been through hell and back (its on its last breaths) and I spontaniously decided to buy the 50D when I was in Hong Kong.

There is an immense difference between the 20D and the 50D... between the 40D and 50D there isn't a great deal of difference apart from the number of megapixels, and the iso which can be pushed to 12800 compared to the 40D's maximum of 3200. The 50D also supports UDMA which would allow you to shoot 90 Jpegs at 6.3 fps (the 40D can shoot 75 at 6.5 fps)... an impressive result considering the 50D has an added 5 megapixels. Then theres a few added features that really don't make adifference photographically but are nonetheless noticeable such as the LCD which on the 50D has 3x the resolution of its predecessor's.

This camera IS slightly noisier than the 40D but this is only really noticeable at a 100% crop. But this is relative to the size of the sensor..... If you print a photo from each at the same size you won't see the difference.

As previosuly stated if you're buying into this line go for the 50D but theres no point upgrading from a 40D to a 50D..... And if you're getting it for free all the better, enjoy your camera!

P.S. to put the greater resultion to good use you're going to want some good glass!

I'm going to be only comfortable in the "auto" mode for a while with this new camera. It's bells and whistles are quite different from the XT.

But so far I really like it.

Much to learn.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

An elf told me I might be getting a Canon 50D under the tree.

If true, I'll be delighted, but am concerned about some issues that I've read about it. Like high ISO noise???!!!!

Is it really that much better than the 40D?

I'll have a lot of learning to do, I'm coming from a Rebel XT, which by the way I absolutely love.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The 50D is fairly impressive. I used it when it first came out and took test shots at ISO 3200. It is slightly worse than the 5D Mark I in this regard. At ISO 1600 it is better than the original 5D. Keep in mind I am comparing it to a full-frame camera also. With my 40D, I rarely shot over ISO 400. On the 50D, I would not even mind going up to ISO 800 and even 1600. Images are very usable at those ISO's. The larger MP count and AF micro-adjustment is a nice bonus. Can't complain about the 6.3fps.

uh you are kidding right? Course I have taken several high ISO night photos handheld with my EOS 40D and up to ISO 1600 the noise are minimal to acceptable... Of course I had the in camera noise reduction turned on. I really doubt that a site like Dpreview would lie or whatever about the fact that 50D has equal or worse high noise performance than the 40D.

I was going to buy a 50D but then common sense took over and I ended up buying a 40D with a Prime Lens instead :drool:

Love my 50d especially when paired with the canon 70-200l 2.8 is lens. I do a lot of sports photography mostly shot at 3200 iso and image quality is great noise level low. I also have a 30d and the 50d is much faster and accurate in focusing. The 15mp also allows me to crop more without losing image quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back