Canon 50D

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lee_Maryland, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Lee_Maryland

Lee_Maryland TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am new to photography, and looking to purchase my first SLR camera. I have been reading the tips on the forum, as well as reading reviews, etc. I have somewhat decided to go with canon 50D as my first camera, can I please get some thoughts on this camera? Mostly likely I am going to be a weekend photographer, and my ultimate goal is to shoot weddings as a career. Thank you for the help on this.

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

It is a good solid prosumer camera from Canon. (I use EOS 40D)

It will do what you need. If you have the budget for a 5D MKII, I will go that route. (especially for weddings) But 50D still a very capable camera and I learned that a lot of people use 50D (or even older model) to shoot weddings.

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    fine camera for your needs. Learn with it, grow with it, and move to a full frame when doing weddings professionally.

Way more important than the body are the lenses that you use with the camera. Get some good quality and fast glass (f2.8 or lower). You will probably upgrade that body in a few years, while the lenses will remain. Many people I know who have been shooting for a while have had their good lenses for 10+ years, and in that time, have changed bodies 3-4 times.

4. Lee_Maryland

Lee_Maryland TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

BigWinky,

Does it make more sense to you purchasing a lower end SLR camera for learning? Like a canon Rebel? And buy quality lenses as I go along? Like you said, I will probably upgrade bodies in a few years.

5. Dao

Quality lens make a big difference in terms of image quality. If you are planning to the good lenses later on down the road, it is fine to start with 50D (or a used 40D which is around $5XX now)

Personally I prefer the way the XXD series camera feel. (Rebel is a little too small for my big hands) One thing you may want to know that the estimated shutter life of the 40D/50D is 100,000 clicks vs 50,000 on Rebels. And when you are ready to shoot wedding later on, you need a backup body anyway. So your 40D/50D can act as a backup camera.

If you have not try out the cameras, you may want to make a visit to a camera store and check them out. Check out the other brand such as Nikon as well and see which one you like better.

6. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Having had a similar experience...

I picked up my first camera in late 2008. I was debating between a Rebel XSI and a 40D. I went with the XSI for budget reasons, but really, I could of picked up the 40D. I didn't have any photography forum to ask questions to and didn't do too much research ahead of time. I just new it had to be Canon as I had some older Canon lenses that I wanted to fit on the camera.

I started taking some classes and getting seriously into photography by the end of that year. By early 2009, I felt that I had already outgrown the camera. I still have it as my main camera, but upgrading when I get back from a trip.

Do I regret the purchase? Well, its a damn nice camera, great to learn, provides great results. What I regret is that I wanted to upgrade soon after. Had I had the 40D, would I of felt the need to upgrade so soon? I Dont know. What I do know is that if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the 40D and then build on lenses.

It all depends on what you plan on doing and how serious you think you will be. The T2i is a good camera, great to learn and grow with. But if you are serious and progress, then you might outgrow it quickly. Maybe you won't.

Either way, focus on the lenses and not the body.

T1i, T2i, 40D, 50D... not a huge difference between them. There is a difference, but again, nothing huge.

7. Lee_Maryland

Lee_Maryland TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for the advice guys. I have actually tried both cameras at Penn camera, which is a local camera store. The rebel does feel a bit light and small for me.

Dao, when you said shuttle life for 40D/50D. Does that mean after 100,000 clicks the camera might not be usable or need some repair?

8. Dao

That is just a rough estimate. It doesn't mean the camera/shutter will break after 100,000 clicks. It also doesn't mean it won't break after 3000 clicks.

What that really means to us is it is a better build camera and it should normally last longer than the consumer camera.

9. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buy used from POTn instead of losing your ass on a new camera. A 30D can be had for about $300 on a good day. I bought mine new for $1100.

10. bigtwinky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've seen 40Ds going as low as $600 locally, and from what I hear, 40Ds are a nice upgrade from a 30D. But a 50D is just a so-so upgrade from a 40D

11. Lee_Maryland

Lee_Maryland TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What is a POTn? Flea market?

12. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit