Canon 50D

Among Canon's xxD series cameras, 50D has not been able to attract much attention as there were several complaints against it. Most important was noise problem even at low ISO settings. Probably 40D was the best among xxD series. But in this part of the world, 10% of them had complaints of mechanical problems.

However, now everything has been blown away by the vociferous arrival of 7D. This is Canon's top prosumer camera at this moment. Everything on this stupid box seems perfect; I just wish it had a less crowded sensor.

I am very happy with my Canon 50D. Its a great camera and not too hard to learn.

I upgraded from a Canon Elan II (35mm film) to the Canon 50D. And I am not sorry. :)

Mind you, I am no pro. But I like the nice solid feel it has and the quality images that it provides.

I agree with Matt, The canon 50D will be better around camera for all type of events. You will not only be available to take wedding photos but you could probably do sports events. It excels with the 6.5 fps shutter speed which allows you to take nice sequence. If you can afford to buy good glass from Canon which are one of the best, I will consider looking at Sigma they have really good sturdy construction and very good price..if not go Ebay route.

i have a 50d, and so far i'm lovin it. Though, it was a bit of a learning curve for me going from a pentax ist d, i havn't regreted it yet. And, my cousin told me it's a great camera for me to learn from, before i decide to move on to bigger better cameras.

I have a 40d and love it, would like to upgrade to full frame but if/when I do I'll keep the 40d. The 40d has to be canon's bargain bang-for-buck performer at the moment if you get one second hand. They seem to go for around the same price as a cheap 500d or an expensive 450d.

EOS 50D is not a learning camera I'm afraid. EOS 1000D caters to that need. 50D is a prosumer model for advanced amateurs.

Now, may I ask 50D users about its high ISO performance?

Thanks in advance.

EOS 50D is not a learning camera I'm afraid. EOS 1000D caters to that need. 50D is a prosumer model for advanced amateurs.

Now, may I ask 50D users about its high ISO performance?

Thanks in advance.

Well high iso can be a large scale depending on what you think high iso is. I would not buy this camera for high iso. Some cameras are outstanding at 6400 iso the 50D is not one of them. I think the usuable ISO on this camera is 100 to 2000. 3200 is ok and some people may know how to use noise reduction software better than I do and make it work well. Even at ISO 2000 you have to pick and choose the shot. But nice fast glass can compensate some. The 50D for about $1000 dollars to me is a good deal for what you get in my opinion. If you want a great high ISO performer you will need to at least double the $1000 dollars if not quadruple the amount.

May I ask about its (50D) AWB performances in different conditions?

It sucks. That's across the board with all DSLRs IMHO though. AWB is set to change between a certain range and depending if you're shooting in a situation where the lighting conditions are out of the range of your WB, then it's going to look like crap or if you're shooting in conditions where the light is constantly changing, it'll look like crap.

I just set mine to whatever I'm shooting so I don't have to adjust in post and it looks good coming out of the camera.

Of the cameras I've owned, the one I miss the most is the 50D. It's a great body and the images it produces are beautiful. I sold it to move up to a 5D2 but the 50D will always have a spot in my heart.

I wouldn't say that the AWB sucks... I've been overall satisfied. Mind you I am not an expert, and it does require adjusting at times. But if you shoot in RAW, AWB settings are easiky adjusted in post.... IMO that is. :)

I wouldn't say that the AWB sucks... I've been overall satisfied. Mind you I am not an expert, and it does require adjusting at times. But if you shoot in RAW, AWB settings are easiky adjusted in post.... IMO that is. :)

While this is true about the adjustment, when you shoot an event and end up with 300 +/- photos, it's better to have to do less adjustment in post.

Well high iso can be a large scale depending on what you think high iso is. I would not buy this camera for high iso. Some cameras are outstanding at 6400 iso the 50D is not one of them. I think the usuable ISO on this camera is 100 to 2000. 3200 is ok and some people may know how to use noise reduction software better than I do and make it work well. Even at ISO 2000 you have to pick and choose the shot. But nice fast glass can compensate some. The 50D for about $1000 dollars to me is a good deal for what you get in my opinion. If you want a great high ISO performer you will need to at least double the $1000 dollars if not quadruple the amount.

Thank you for the info. Finally I bought this camera as an upgrade from 450D. However, I'm not parting with the first one rather prefer to carry 2 bodies fitted with 2 different types of lenses for serious shooting missions. I felt this need while shooting on African savanas. As a telezoom was attached to the body; I didn't change to a wide angle (to avoid dust) to capture the stunning landscapes. From now on I hope to be able to avail those opportunities.

On ISOs, yes high ISO performer cameras will cost significantly higher. For me this one is ok at this price point. My regular ISO requirement is 400, seldom 800 and rarely 1600. I've tested and am convinced; EOS 50D is capable enough to respond to these needs. Nevertheless, I did put it to test at ISO 3200 in one extreme condition. As anticipated, it did capture the shot and the subject is recognizable. However, strong post processing noise reduction activity is necessary before offering it for viewing.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back