1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Canon 50mm 1.8 for grand canyon

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by ygil707, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ygil707

ygil707 TPF Noob!

Hi. So I am going on another adventure with my husband to the Grand Canyon and I am thinking of getting this lens... Mainly for the price and weight. We will be backpacking for 6 days in the Grand Canyon and 4 days at glen canyon. I currently have the 24-105mm and thought the 50mm would be a good addition... Or should I rent a better one... If anyone has any suggestions on a good landscape lens let me know but I would prefer light weight. Thanks!

2. dbvirago

dbvirago TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've always thought it was great lens for the price and is always with me. For the Grand Canyon, though, it's going to be a little tight. Didn't say what body you have - if a crop you need to wider than 24.

3. raaskohx10

raaskohx10 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is always good to carry a wide angle lens like 10-22 mm for landscape photography.

4. eswebster

eswebster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    50mm is way too narrow for what you are going to be shooting. On a full frame you'll want 24mm max but the 24-105 is a bit weak on that side. The 14mmL is reviewed solid.

5. cwcaesar

cwcaesar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe you could use it for panoramas.

6. CanonJim

CanonJim TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are just going to rent, and you have a crop sensor camera, you can't do much better than the Canon 10-22mm. If you have a full frame, then go for the best wide angle you can - The Canon 14mm or similar. This is the Grand Canyon - unless you plan to visit every other weekend or something, this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't skimp. I know the 10-22 is a bit heavy, but compared to the 50mm f/1.8, nearly everything is. Make the hubby carry it. :)

7. Tony S

Tony S TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go wider or you will be wondering why you didn't listen to folks here after the trip.

8. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If you have to look around to take in the view, then you need a wide angle lens. You wouldn't go to the Grand Canyon and view it through the end of a drinking straw would you? Neither should your camera.

The 10-22mm would be a great lens. If you think you wouldn't use the lens enough to justify owning it.... rent it.

9. Light Guru

Light Guru Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can always rent a wide angle lens. Renting lenses is a great option for trips where you may want a lens that you otherwise might not need.

10. amolitor

amolitor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't see a problem with the 50mm. Yeah, you're not going to get the gorgeous wide views. Buy a postcard. It'll be great for getting details, and for pictures of people against the details.

If you think you'll want the wide gorgeous postcard views, renting a lens is a great idea, though.

11. ygil707

ygil707 TPF Noob!

Thanks everyone. I may go for renting... I'll have to see which one i decide on... It will have to be with IS if I rent one cause we went to Montana last year and I rented the 200mm l and found it heavy as crap... Barely could use it... I do have the canon 60d so maybe the 50mm won't do...