Canon 50mm 1.8 for grand canyon

ygil707

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. So I am going on another adventure with my husband to the Grand Canyon and I am thinking of getting this lens... Mainly for the price and weight. We will be backpacking for 6 days in the Grand Canyon and 4 days at glen canyon. I currently have the 24-105mm and thought the 50mm would be a good addition... Or should I rent a better one... If anyone has any suggestions on a good landscape lens let me know but I would prefer light weight. Thanks!

I've always thought it was great lens for the price and is always with me. For the Grand Canyon, though, it's going to be a little tight. Didn't say what body you have - if a crop you need to wider than 24.

It is always good to carry a wide angle lens like 10-22 mm for landscape photography.

50mm is way too narrow for what you are going to be shooting. On a full frame you'll want 24mm max but the 24-105 is a bit weak on that side. The 14mmL is reviewed solid.

If you are just going to rent, and you have a crop sensor camera, you can't do much better than the Canon 10-22mm. If you have a full frame, then go for the best wide angle you can - The Canon 14mm or similar. This is the Grand Canyon - unless you plan to visit every other weekend or something, this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't skimp. I know the 10-22 is a bit heavy, but compared to the 50mm f/1.8, nearly everything is. Make the hubby carry it. :)

Go wider or you will be wondering why you didn't listen to folks here after the trip.

If you have to look around to take in the view, then you need a wide angle lens. You wouldn't go to the Grand Canyon and view it through the end of a drinking straw would you? Neither should your camera.

The 10-22mm would be a great lens. If you think you wouldn't use the lens enough to justify owning it.... rent it.

You can always rent a wide angle lens. Renting lenses is a great option for trips where you may want a lens that you otherwise might not need.

I don't see a problem with the 50mm. Yeah, you're not going to get the gorgeous wide views. Buy a postcard. It'll be great for getting details, and for pictures of people against the details.

If you think you'll want the wide gorgeous postcard views, renting a lens is a great idea, though.

Thanks everyone. I may go for renting... I'll have to see which one i decide on... It will have to be with IS if I rent one cause we went to Montana last year and I rented the 200mm l and found it heavy as crap... Barely could use it... I do have the canon 60d so maybe the 50mm won't do...

Most reactions

Back