Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM --- Soft?

I have that lens and it's slow on AF but it's sharp, even wide open.

Are you happy with the sharpness of all your other lenses?
If so send it back for re-calibration.
That's amazing... Mine is very dull wide open.

Yes absolutely! Even my kit 28-135mm is surprisingly much sharper. I don't get it... I may just take it to the shop where I bought it and have them take a peek. I thought that I may have just needed to get used to it but my results haven't gotten better.

Are you happy with the sharpness of all your other lenses?
If so send it back for re-calibration.

_MG_0592.jpg

At f1.4
Oh yeah... Not even close on mine!

Philadelphia1of1.jpg

This is the only photo I have on this computer taken from the Canon 50mm f/1.4 taken @ f/3.6... I'll upload more tomorrow.

At f1.4
Oh yeah... Not even close on mine!

Send it to Canon
15955 Alton Pkwy
Irvine, CA 92618
(949) 753-4237

There's an 800# I just don't have it handy.

I was never happy with my camera, the photos weren't sharp in my opinion.
I stupidly lived with this for years.
I finely sent it to Canon for cleaning and re-calibration and now I'm getting jaw dropping sharp images.

My camera, brand new, was never right.
Send the lens in for recalibration, if the camera is under warranty, send that in too.

BTW - don't take that as an insult or anything... If you don't normally shoot with fast primes, they can take a little getting used to...
Not insulted at all... It's my first prime and I've only used it for a total of about 3-4 hours (about 1000 shots) since purchasing it.

I'd try slowing down instead of the machine gun approach I don't shoot off a 1000 shots a week if not working full time and you do need to be steady/holding and breathing correctly, pretty much the same as using a scoped rifle. H

I have that lens and I use it on the same body. Between F/1.4 and 2.0 it is a little bit soft but past 2.0 I have found it to be extremely sharp at shutter speeds as slow as 1/30 so I am guessing you got a bad copy.

Most reactions

Back