Canon 50mm f/1.8

bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got mine back in Jan. it was always meant to be a temp solution until I can get a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.2 Well today this piece of **** fell apart in my hand. I am glad i got the replacement warantee but i am so pissed. Goes to show i got what i paid for right?

But... Optically, the 50mm f1.8 is known to be a lens that you can't beat for the price. I don't recall anyone else reporting having one of those lenses fall apart.... could be an anomaly. Glad you got a warranty replacement

No optically the Holga lens is the best lens for the price.

^^ See what I did there? Both our statements are the same. It's the best performing lens for the price because there is no other cheap prime with plastic mount that can beat the 50mm f/1.8 average quality for the ludicrously low price. You do get what you paid for.

no... thats not the same considering a Holga lens doesn't have a Canon EF mount. Also not considering that the 50mm f/1.8 can optically out perform zooms several times the cost. Also not considering that there have not been too many reports of the 50mm f/1.8 failing.

Well it's obviously not the best at even ten cents when it falls apart in your hands. :p

yeah im on my second one. first one fell apart too. although i did let it roll off a table and land on a hard floor.....

[...]there have not been too many reports of the 50mm f/1.8 failing.

Actually when I was thinking about buying one I came across a lot of reviews of the lens falling apart or breaking easily. Someone on here put it best when they said something like "The 1.8 is a great lens for a budget. The 1.4 is a great lens for a lifetime." You really get what you pay for in this case.

whoa that's some seriously bad news! i just hope the Nikon one doesn't suffer the same fate as easily. At the price though you really can't grumble, just got to be careful, if it breaks it's your own mistake?

the nifty-fifty is a CHEAP way to learn about DOF & bokeh.
but that's about it.
i haven't used mine in a long time.
i like my 17-55!

*HIGH-JACK*

anyone wanna buy my 50??? :- ))

whoa that's some seriously bad news! i just hope the Nikon one doesn't suffer the same fate as easily. At the price though you really can't grumble, just got to be careful, if it breaks it's your own mistake?

My Nikon 50mm F/1.8 is actually very cheap and plasticy looking... but it must have rolled off the table at least 7-8 times now and it still works 100%. The Canon lens (at 80 bucks) must REALLY have some poor build issues to fall apart in your hands without suffering at least some kinds of abuse?

BTW, I still use the 50mm somewhat regularly for close room portraiture pics. Very sharp lens and the colours are quite rich.

i am thinking mine is really faulty. Back when i was looking into the 50mm i had posted a thread here and several people commented on how cheaply built it was. One person came right out and said it fell apart in their hand so I went into it knowing there is that chance it could happen. Just my luck it happened to me. Nice huh? The whole front end seems to come off, not completely but i can see the inside and mechanical mechanism for the focus.

I dropped my Canon 50mm f/1.8 mkII (the plasticky one) onto a granite church floor from chest height. It bounced 4 feet in the air and I caught it. It still works great, and not a mark on it.

-------------

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back