Canon 50mm f/1.8?

matt-l

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anyone here use/have one? is it worth it, seriously thinking about it based on most reviews.

first lens purchase, mostly for flower macro, some portraits, which is what i've been told its good for

This was the first non-kit lense I bought. I have been very happy withit.

I is plasticy and noisy focussing, but it is quite sharp.

Throw on some extension tubes and it makes a decent macro lense too!!

For the price and optical quality, it may be the best value-for-the-money lens you will find. However, it is very plasticy. If you can afford it, the 50mm F1.4 is a much better feeling lens and isn't really all that expensive.

Best price / performance you can get.

It is one of Canon's sharpest and most contrasty lens out there. I would not hesitate to buy one.

Derrick

It's an all-plastic lens, so it's lightweight, but not as durable. If that's not a concern for you (which at this price point, shouldn't be), the glass is VERY VERY good. Probably the best glass that you can buy at that price.

It's not the best for shooting macro (i.e. really really REALLY magnified images), but it's great for getting a nice subject up close, headshots and general stuff. It was the lens that stood on my camera until I bought the 28-105mm.

Go for the 1.4 ;)

Agreed. Far more durable and is much sharper at f/1.8 than the 50mm 1.8 is. There's a reason the 50mm 1.4 is considered the favorite of many photographers.

Depends what you want to do. I got mine recently, after a zoomer, because I wanted to take wildlife photos first. The 50 1.8 is great for portraits and products, that kind of thing, because it lets in tons of light with great bokeh.

And as the others have mentioned, for the price there's no reason NOT to have it (unless you want the 1.4, but prepare to spend much more).

at this point, i don't think the 50mm 1.4 is going to happen, with a discount(i work where i am going to buy it) i should get it for even less, even with the plasticy construction atleast if it do break its a free fix.

i think i will buy the 50mm 1.8!, thanks guys!!

at this point, i don't think the 50mm 1.4 is going to happen, with a discount(i work where i am going to buy it) i should get it for even less, even with the plasticy construction atleast if it do break its a free fix.

i think i will buy the 50mm 1.8!, thanks guys!!

Grats and have fun with it! And get ready to cringe every time the focus kicks in, its so loud it sounds like its going to pop out the lens :lol:

Depends what you want to do. I got mine recently, after a zoomer, because I wanted to take wildlife photos first. The 50 1.8 is great for portraits and products, that kind of thing, because it lets in tons of light with great bokeh..

Just checking, you're not saying the 1.8 can do this BETTER than the 1.4 right? Because that's just silly.

Just checking, you're not saying the 1.8 can do this BETTER than the 1.4 right? Because that's just silly.

Not at all. The first clue that I didn't say it was the fact that I didn't say it, the second clue could have been my next sentence, "And as the others have mentioned, for the price there's no reason NOT to have it (unless you want the 1.4, but prepare to spend much more)."

I also debated whether to get a 50 f/1.8 or the 50 f/1.4. I went for the 1.8 just because I didn't want to spend 300 on a 1.4. I got the 1.8 for 75. I really like it. If money isn't an issue, get the 1.4...if it is...get the 1.8.

The focusing is noisy...and the lens itself feels plasticy (like what the others have said), but I've had great experience using this lens. It's definitely my favorite (that might be because that's the only really decent lens I have). It's great for portrait shots...I have used this lens to shoot at friends weddings on so many occasions!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back