Canon 50mm f1.8 Lens - How do you use yours?

GeorgeUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just taken delivery of said lens, seems pretty decent.

The f1.8 allows use inside without having to resort to flash and I really like the shallow DOF. Bit loud in operating, but no matter.

Quite a popular lens among Canon (and Nikon with the equivalent lens) users, so was wondering what you guys use yours for? I'm thinking of more portrait work.

Feel free to post some pics and help inspire others! :thumbup:

I have two bodies and one of them I tend to always have the 50mm attached to it. I use it for everything. If I plan to just go out and shoot, I usually have this lens on.

Lets see, one of them became agreat way to learn how the mechanics work. (Very clever setup, I've seen all the gearing, the aperture module, the small motors, the tiny magnets, the AF MF switch from the inside, all quite brilliant, making the lens seem worth MORE than the cheap price it is offered for) and my other 50mm 1.8 I currently shoot with as my only lens because my 28-70 is in for repairs (I didn't take that one apart).

There have been a lot of shots Ive gotten away with in really shady areas, or while it was raining off and on and I just caught the tail end of it, or hiking, etc... I would have been stressing out if I had brought a 1,000$ lens to those places, or even the 1.4 50mm is pretty expensive too.

Also the weight and size allows you to be more nondescript it now fits into a messenger bag.

I have the Nikon version and use it for portraits... religiously. The DOF and sharpness of the lens are really impressive.

I use it a lot for weird angle, shallow DOF shots. This one is taken at 1.8 and a one person bought way too many prints of this picture, up to 20x30 and all. They ended up finally buying the rights to it.

242120410_FESpH-L.jpg

That's a great shot Keith! :)

*makes mental note to go out and take some car photos*

Most reactions

Back