Canon 50mm F1.8 vs Sigma 17-50 F2.8

Frank M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey,

I shoot mainly with a Canon 60D and do mostly video (I'd say 70/30 video)

I was looking at possibly upgrading my 50mm lens, but I can't find a lens within my price range for that focal length that I think would be worthy of an upgrade to and am thinking of purchasing another lens all together (putting the money towards a Canon 70-200 f4 IS or Sigma 70-200 f2.8, yes it's more expensive but I would get value out of this purchase in that I don't have an equivalent focal distance).

My question regarding the two lenses in the title is, apart from the extra stop, do you think there is a noticeable difference between the 50mm F1.8 and the Sigma at 50mm? I shoot a lot of video, and at 50mm the Sigma has the added benefit of image stabilization.

I'm thinking I'd be better off saving up for the zoom lens and making do with the Sigma and possibly the Canon f1.8 if I really need to extra stop.

Also, any suggestions or comments on the Canon 70-200 F4 IS vs. the Sigma 70-200 F2.8?

The 50mm will probably give you better image quality overall. Name-brand prime lenses - even the cheap ones - will generally present better image quality than third party zooms at comparable focal lengths.

The Sigma is more versatile, however, with it's range and OS.

There are numerous reviews on either lens. What is it you would like to hear from us that can't be found in those reviews?

Both Canon 50 mm lenses have shown themself to be a workhorse component, proven over decades of use. I have a 50 mm f 1.8 and it's one of my favorite pieces even after fifteen years of ownership. For the price it's unbeatable IMO. There's also the new 40 mm and the 24 mm from Canon. I also have the 24 mm and find it to be just as sharp and clean as the 50 mm unit. Together they make a useful combination for me without taking up lots of space and weighing me down.

For the price of the Sigma, I would think you could simply buy a proper video camera.

Just my opinion and my way of working at the moment but I'm moving away from zooms and staying more and more with primes. I do not though use my still camera as a video device.

There are numerous reviews on either lens. What is it you would like to hear from us that can't be found in those reviews?

If everyone were to look at the various reviews exclusively, I am guessing this discussion forum would seize to exist...that would be unfortunate. In addition to that, individual reviews of either lens do not shed much light on comparing the uses and functionality of these two lenses to each other.

What it is I "would like to hear" from people here is their opinions. Of course, that is only if they would like to provide them. I was hopeful there might be people who have made the same or similar decision as I am trying to make who could shed some light on their experiences.

In regards to a proper video camera, for my purposes, I believe my 60D to be a proper video camera. I'm not looking for anything more or less than what it provides and am satisfied with my choice of instrument.

Canon just release a new 50mm f/1.8 STM lens for around $130. STM maybe better for shooting video.
Canon U.S.A. Consumer Home Office EF 50mm f 1.8 STM

From the description, the new lens has metal mount, 7 blades, STM AF and manual focus ring back on the body (not at the front of the lens). I think that is a pretty sweet lens.

I loved my sigma 17-50 2.8OS. Sharp, light, and a great carry-round lens.

Bokeh isn't super sexy, but it isn't bad:
Bokeh and Bans by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Liquid Fog by f_one_eight, on Flickr

It worked very well when I had it. I have that waterfall on my wall as a 20x30, and I see no sharpness differences when compared to my D800 + 16-35 combo.

Cheers!
Jake

Talk about perfect timing for the new Canon 50mm f1.8 stm. I'll definitely be picking that up.

I believe the Sigma will suit my video needs at the 50mm range, especially with the OS/IS, but for the price this new prime will come out at, it's definitely going to be in the bag.

Frank, I would tend to agree with you. I was looking at the list price from B&H and with the new 50mm, Lens hood, UV and CPL it was under $200.00. If it is any better than the 50 f/1.8 II, it will be hard to beat.

I am just wondering. First of all, my experience with shooting video with DSLR is limited. However, is IS (VC or VR or OS) important? From what I read, for shorter focal length such as 10mm to 100mm range, shooting video with a steady cam or gimbal setup should be better, right?

I am just wondering. First of all, my experience with shooting video with DSLR is limited. However, is IS (VC or VR or OS) important? From what I read, for shorter focal length such as 10mm to 100mm range, shooting video with a steady cam or gimbal setup should be better, right?

Hey Dao,

I wouldn't say shooting video with a steady cam or gimbal is better...they are just two different ways to stabilize your camera for certain types of shots.

If you plan on shooting anything handheld, IS is definitely important.

I would very very rarely use a lens without IS handheld, so for me, a lens without IS would be limited in the sense as I would always need some sort of tripod, monopod, steady cam, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back