Canon 580EX ETTL vs Manual Mode with Wireless Transmitter

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone use wireless transmitter where you have to use it in manual mode? I'm having problem where in ETTL mode the flash charges in 6 sec where in manual mode it takes about 30 sec. Even at 1/4 it's really slow recharging time. Batteries are new in the flash. Not sure why it'd be slower refresh time in manual vs ettl? Please enlighten me. Thanks

with it connected to the camera? or with wireless transmitter? are you using manual mode or ettl?

OK. I just put in fresh batteries, its fine now. With ETTL it's instant recharge with manual its 3-4 sec. I guess the battery I used wasn't brand new as I thought. I guess I should get some rechargeable batteries instead because I think I fired maybe 50 shots w/ the previous batteries so by that rate it seems as if I'll run out of batteries really fast going this route.

OK. I just put in fresh batteries, its fine now. With ETTL it's instant recharge with manual its 3-4 sec. I guess the battery I used wasn't brand new as I thought. I guess I should get some rechargeable batteries instead because I think I fired maybe 50 shots w/ the previous batteries so by that rate it seems as if I'll run out of batteries really fast going this route.

I use Sanyo Eneloop they can be left for weeks and hold their charge

yup just read about that also. I will get that. Although I've also got good reviews on some other ones when I did a search for "rechargeable flash batteries" with larger mA. Ether way, it'll save money in the long run over normal batteries.

Although I'm probably not going to use my 580ex much more with wireless transmitter as much anymore after next week as my x1600s are coming w/ vagabond II power pack

I use Sanyo Eneloop they can be left for weeks and hold their charge
I have a few of those too (like, 16 or so).

They seem to last a very long time, if left in a flash or camera. But, just sitting in a box, they lose their charge very fast...

I always have to charge them before using them. You can't just charge them, throw them in your bag, and expect them to still be good when you need them...

I find that very annoying ... so I still use a lot of disposables too. At least I know they'll have a full charge when I need a battery.

Odd I've not noticed my Enloops loosing charge when kept in general storage, infact they should keep their charge whether kept in the flash or kept out in general. Are you sure they are not coming under any other stress or strain (eg maybe high temperatures or metal content being stored with them and shorting them out over time?)

Overall enloops have the advantage of keeping their charge - which I find a great boon even though they have less overall capacity than regular regarchables (though there are newer enloops coming out with more capacity now). This way whilst you might get fewer shots from a fresh recharge in comparison to regular rechargables, the batteries are ready to go after time left unused - that is where the make all the difference over regular batteries.

And yes the savings are considerable when you consider how much (in time and cost) it takes to get hold of regular batteries when out shooting (and that is when there are shops nearby)

Most reactions

Back