Canon 580EX flash question

guitarkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.roxystudios.net
was wondering if any of you with this flash have seen this.....

after multiple flash photos during a wedding....not sure how many....maybe 120 or more easily....the flash was losing its power....time to change batteries it seemed. took the batteries out and they were as hot as a skillet! couldn't hold the batteries at all they were so hot. put new batteries in and after about a dozen flash shots, the flash display rapidly turns on and off...as if blinking. flash got flaky and i couldn't use it.

all seemed ok after i put in yet another set of new batteries and squeezed off a few shots. i'm chalking it up to overheating.

steve

Sounds like over heating to me. Were you using it like a machine gun? I don't know a lot about batteries...but maybe you had some extra resistance that was causing a build-up of heat.

Maybe you should consider an external batter pack like this.

From page 7 of the 580ex manual:

To avoid overheating and deterioration of the flash head, do not fire rapid bursts of more than 20 continuous flashes. After 20 continuous flashes, allow a rest time of at least 10 minutes.

Hot-as-a-skillet batteries are definately a sign you are pushing the limit. I use the Canon battery packs with my 550 and 580. It might help keep the overall heat down, but I'm not sure it would help lessen the strain on the flash tube itself.

I use my flash on manual much of the time. This cuts the strain on the flash tube some because there is no ETTL pre-flash. Also having 2 flashes obviously reduces the load on each.

EDIT: The manual also says that you will get 100 to 700 shots from 4 AA batteries. If your flash was firing at or close to full power most of the time, your batteries were probably dead.

Also, if using E-TTL...you can save flash power by using a wider aperture and/or a higher ISO and/or getting closer to your subject. At least I think that should help.

thanks guys. it's always on ETTL and i wasn't doing anything rapid fire, if i understand that correctly....still new to the 580EX....i just keep it on ETTL and go. i was shooting off quite a few shots....with no resting. good points...thanks again!

steve

Most reactions

Back