Canon 580EX II or Canon 430 EX II ? HELP

MH_91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey everyone ,

i have Canon 20D , and i wanna buy new Flash gun for my camera

i was planing to buy 580 EXII and 1st time but i saw that there is 430 EX II as well

so i got confused , i saw lots of Reivew , but basically they saying , that 580 EXII has more Options ,

i dont know , which one fit for me ,

which one is best for my camera , Canon 20D , am plaing to take couple pics and its outdoor

thank you soo much !
have great day :)

They will both work really well with your camera.

The 580EX has;
more power
more features
easier control

If you can afford the 580EX, then go for it. It's the better choice. The only advantage to the 430EX is that it's less expensive.

this is true, although to be fair the 430 can do plenty as well. The question is, are the extra power, features, and easier control worth the extra 150 to you. That's something for you to decide.

I had this same decision to make and went with the 430. It's a little less powerful than the big-brother, but hasn't failed me. It can't be used in Master mode (not an issue anymore since I got my 7D). It's considerably smaller on top of the flash bracket. I would go the same way again unless I had unlimited $$.

Another thing to consider is that the 580 can act as a master, the 430 cannot. I could be very wrong about this, but I think that the only Canon cameras where the body itself can act as a master is the new 7D and maybe the new 1D IV.

DPanswers: Canon Flash Primer

There is a link in that article on all the dedicated Canon flashes. It covers the specs and differences.

I have both the 580 and the 430. They both work well.

Thank you soo much guys for the support and answering back :)

well

i didnt get the part that called

u can work with 580 EX II as an Master

and 430EX II can not ..

do you guys mean ,

580EX II can work as an main flash ( that connect to the camera )

and 430 EX II can be GOOD with only wireless flash

and its true if i paid 190 extra

is it worth ?

and there is another problem

i found 430 EX II used one and its 70 bucks cheaper then the new one

that why am thinking MAYBE to buy the used one .

Master/Slave

The 430EX can be used on-camera or off.

580EX II also has an auto mode that uses the flash unit's own built-in exposure sensor.
and 430 EX II dont ?
No, it doesn't. But don't worry about it. It's not something than you'd use often, and it doesn't work very well anyway.

430 EX II i found used for 260 $ CAD , should i go for it , or i go for 580 EX II for 519 CAD .

430 EX II i found used for 260 $ CAD , should i go for it , or i go for 580 EX II for 519 CAD .

I would do the 430, but that's just me :)

Most reactions

Back