Canon 580EX II Question

Mygixxer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just picked up a 580EX II speed flash and have some questions. I have read the manual and watched some youtube tutorials but still a little confused.

My set up:
Canon T2i
Canon 18-135mm

QUESTION 1:
1)When I have the flash set to ETTL (Which from what I understand, is kind of an Auto mode?) my camera (On manual mode) wont allow me to go any higher than 1/200. Why would that be? I take the flash off and I can go higher.

QUESTION 2:
2)On a video I watched, the flash was synced with the camera. So when the lens was adjusted, the numbers would show on the "Zoom" along with the F-stop. When I make my lens adjustments, the F-Stop is the only one that moves. My Zoom stays like this "Zoom - - mm". Is there a setting on my camera that I'm not seeing? I went into the External flash function settings and it reads:

Flash mode-E-TTL II
Shutter sync-1st Curtain
FEB-0
Flash exp meter-0
E-TTL II meter-Evaluate
Zoom-Auto

Thanks in advance!
:thumbup:

I can answer question number one.

Your camera's flash sync speed is 1/200th of a second. If you go above that, then you'll get black bars across the frame, so the camera won't let you go higher*

*you can put the flash in high speed sync mode to get a higher shutter speed though. You do this by hitting the button that has a lightning bolt and an h

I can answer question number one.

Your camera's flash sync speed is 1/200th of a second. If you go above that, then you'll get black bars across the frame, so the camera won't let you go higher*

*you can put the flash in high speed sync mode to get a higher shutter speed though. You do this by hitting the button that has a lightning bolt and an h

Good to know. Thank you!:D

Question one has been answered.

As for question #2...The flash has a zoom head on it. The bulb (and or reflector dish) zoom in and out which changes the spread of light from the flash. The idea is that it wants to match the spread of light, to the angle of view from the lens.

The default mode is for the flash to match it's zoom to the focal length of the lens. So when zoom the lens in or out (and the camera is 'active') then the flash should change to match...it can hear the small zooming sound.

But for that to work, you have to be the 'auto zoom' mode. It's shown on the flash's display as a couple rectangles beside where it says zoom. The other possible mode is a manual zoom, where you set the zoom levels and it stays where you set it it. Just push the zoom button repeatedly.

The other thing is that the auto function is only for when the flash is pointed straight ahead. As soon as you tilt or swivel the flash head, it no longer makes sense for the flash to match the angle of view of the lens, so it doesn't. I think it just goes to a default zoom of 50mm.

Most reactions

Back