Canon 5d Mark I Vs. Canon 5d Mark II

rwphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey every one!!!!! I just have some quick questions because in recent months, I've seen a number of people jump from the Mark I to the infamous Mark II..... I am planning on getting a used copy of the Mark I and I was wondering if it is worth the money.

My local Photography store is selling a used Canon 5d Mark I, battery grip with batteries, 24-105 L lens for $2295. I was wondering if I should get it. I'm hesitant because I've seen what the Mark II can do and I havent gotten the chance to play with the Mark I fully yet.

I know the Mark II has the new processor and is 21mp. My thing is, I just want a full frame camera. I currently own a 50d an i'm in love with it. At the same time, I feel like I maybe missing out on whatever full frame has to offer.

When I do go into the store to purchase the equipment, i'm also going to be purchasing the infamous 70-200mm L IS f/2.8 as well so you can tell i'm going to be broke for a couple of months. :lmao:

So, I guess my question is, other than the new processor and the 21mp, what else is the difference between the mark I & mark II? I don't want to say should I buy it because I think i'm going to regardless. Just trying to see if the mark II would be worth the extra $1000 for now.

Completely up to you. Remember, you need lenses as well.

The two biggest differences IMO are going to be video and image size. High ISO noise is slightly better, but the 5D still kicks ass at that. That's a good price. The 24-105 is worth about $800ish used, and used 5D's are going fro $1500ish used with no accessories. $1700 is a tad high, but you get the grip and if it's in good condition it's a steal.

I have a MK II.

Why do you call everything infamous? the 70-200 f/2.8 IS is one of Canon's best lenses :p

I know, what's with the infamous stuff? You do realize if someone or something is infamous that's a bad thing, right?

in⋅fa⋅mous

  /ˈɪn
thinsp.png
fə
thinsp.png
məs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-fuh-muh
thinsp.png
s] –adjective
1. having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city.
2. deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable: an infamous deed.

Wow, bad reputation or notorious. I was going for more of the Notorious use of the word infamous, not the bad reputation of the word. Jeeze. :)

Wow, bad reputation or notorious. I was going for more of the Notorious use of the word infamous, not the bad reputation of the word. Jeeze. :)
Notorious really isn't any better. It can be used in a not so unfavorable way, but generally speaking people think of notorious as being undesirable. If you were to say I was "notorious" without explaining what you meant, people would think I was a criminal. :)

no⋅to⋅ri⋅ous

  /noʊˈtɔr
thinsp.png
i
thinsp.png
əs, -ˈtoʊr-, nə-/ [noh-tawr-ee-uh
thinsp.png
s, -tohr-, nuh-] –adjective
1. widely and unfavorably known: a notorious gambler.
2. publicly or generally known, as for a particular trait: a newspaper that is notorious for its sensationalism.

Perhaps you mean the "classic" 24-105 or "widely popular" 5D. :)

More to your point.

I personally wouldn't be happy with the 5D (there isn't a Mark I, just an original 5D). The camera has notoriously (hehe) slow shutter lag and the menus you like on your 50D are absent from the 5D. The 5D2 will be more familiar to you in that the menus will be the same.

IQ wise the 5D is still a top performer. It's a bit clunky by today's standards, but it still delivers the goods when called upon.

If you're on a budget and that extra $1k isn't readily available, you would probably be better off with the 5D. That's only something you can decide.

More to your point.

I personally wouldn't be happy with the 5D (there isn't a Mark I, just an original 5D). The camera has notoriously (hehe) slow shutter lag and the menus you like on your 50D are absent from the 5D. The 5D2 will be more familiar to you in that the menus will be the same.

IQ wise the 5D is still a top performer. It's a bit clunky by today's standards, but it still delivers the goods when called upon.

If you're on a budget and that extra $1k isn't readily available, you would probably be better off with the 5D. That's only something you can decide.

LOL @ the notorious....

But, yeah the extra $1k isn't gonna be readily available right now and when it is, I plan on getting a prime zoom lens (not for $1k of course :lol:). I'm not too worried about the size of the camera. But when you mention the menu's, is it completely different than the 50D?

My original camera that I first started with was an XS. Would the menu's on the 5D be similar to that or no?

Lastly, I am attracted by the original 5D for now because of the IQ not so much of the MP because I know it is still going to take stunning pictures with the 24-105 L lens.

Oooo, and I would also just be using the 5D for still subjects. Would the shutter lag your referring to happen while taking portraits? I'm keeping the 50D for more candid and action photography.

More to your point.

LOL @ the notorious....

But, yeah the extra $1k isn't gonna be readily available right now and when it is, I plan on getting a prime zoom lens (not for $1k of course :lol:). I'm not too worried about the size of the camera. But when you mention the menu's, is it completely different than the 50D?

My original camera that I first started with was an XS. Would the menu's on the 5D be similar to that or no?

Lastly, I am attracted by the original 5D for now because of the IQ not so much of the MP because I know it is still going to take stunning pictures with the 24-105 L lens.

Your vocabulary sucks. A prime lens is a lens that doesn't zoom. I've never heard of a prime zoom lens. I've heard of prime zoom feet though.

WoW....Didn't think I had to be an English major to talk equipment. Ok, i'm not an expert at equipment but I know what i'm talking about.

For portraits the shutter lag won't be an issue really, it wouldn't be for me. For sports and action photography, it's more of an issue.

The 5D will take stunning pictures with the 24-105. It's a very capable camera.

The menus will be similar in appearance, but the layout and options will be different than your 50D. It's not a major issue I don't suspect. I was just letting you know they are a generation apart and things have changed.

Oh, and make sure the used 5D has been in for the service recall. If not, your mirror will likely go flying when you least expect it.

For portraits the shutter lag won't be an issue really, it wouldn't be for me. For sports and action photography, it's more of an issue.

The 5D will take stunning pictures with the 24-105. It's a very capable camera.

The menus will be similar in appearance, but the layout and options will be different than your 50D. It's not a major issue I don't suspect. I was just letting you know they are a generation apart and things have changed.

I don't have problems with shutter lag, have you seen how fast dog agility is probably one of the fastest sports you will shoot
5D +300F2.8L ISO3200
491249521_Wac5w-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back