Canon 5D Mark II Stolen During Wedding

haring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yesterday somebody stole my camera while I was shooting a wedding at Signature Grand at Davie, FL. I just put it down at a table for a few minutes to take pictures of the bride and groom with my other camera and when I wanted to pick it up it was no longer there. The management wasn't particularly shocked when I announced the case....
Please be very careful when you shoot weddings there!!!

I always pay attention to make sure that my equipment is secure but I never thought that somebody could take it in less than a minute during a wedding. The bride and groom's getting ready pictures were on the card... SO BE CAREFUL!

Also, please contact Broward County police department if somebody tries to sell you a Canon 5D Mark II with the following Serial number: 2764B003AA or contact me via Häring Photography | Wedding Photographers Miami, Wedding Photography Florida, Key West Photographer, Key Largo, Orlando

I hope this helps!!!

That sucks big-time!! A good tip not just for weddings but anywhere really; think twice when you're putting your camera down anywhere.

Holy ****? I can't imagine it was a guest, especially since the staff wasn't surprised.I would imagine it was the staff.

That sucks. Hope it turns up, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I was at Mayhem Festival last month with my wife, my 7D and a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L that I literally picked up on the way to the concert. After the show I went to bathroom and left wife with my stuff. I come out of the bathroom and she's talking to two dudes with her back to my camera sitting on a table.

I calmly walked by, picked up the camera and walked away and took a couple of picts of her chatting it up and realizing it was gone, and she will not forget that feeling for a long, long time.

Now I leave my camera hanging on my shoulder when I'm in there.

Would you leave $1500 lying on a table while you went elsewhere, no, its got a strap keep it around your neck or at least in full view, I put nothing down anywhere, whether I'm using it or not, makes for an uncomfortable day if its hot but not as uncomfortable as losing the shots and equipment makes you feel. H

Man! that's sucks. Hope the police or someone is able to trace it down.

I'd just like to knock on woods and ask, how do people lose a CAMERA???? I read people talking about how they accidently washed their memory cards and I don't get it. But a camera??? Sorry, I know you're probably really mad at this point because it's not a cheaper end camera where it can be easily replaced (and maybe it can for you) but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS keep your gears on you at ALL TIMES. Buy a bag, take only things you need for a wedding and not entire studio.

I really hope it turns out or that you had insurance on it through your business. Sorry to sound so harsh.

Hmm I wonder if the management there have any insurance against theft from their premises - would be worth you making sure you know if there is or isn't as you could then make a claim under their name rather than through your own insurance (hoping that you have this!)

As for thefts of gear a camera its a harsh lesson sadly that weddings are not safe places. In fact its not uncommon that people will be professionals at wedding theft - appearing during confusing moments like the after parties and receptions where not everyone knows everyone and they just blend in pinching what they can.

I've even read of photographers having their gear pinched from inside a locked car outside a wedding. They key I think is to remember that weddings in populated areas area highrisk target and that you need both cover in insurance; cover in your contract with your client regarding theft (you don't want to be sued for "losing" the photos); and cover on the day (an assistant/intern/student etc..)

That sucks, it's really hard to keep your eye on gear at a wedding. For me, I keep both bodies on me (Black Rapid slings). I also have my key lenses with me in a Newswear vest which makes me look like a combat action photographer... but I always know where my stuff is and at large events I'm not running back and forth for gear.

Would you leave $1500 lying on a table while you went elsewhere, no, its got a strap keep it around your neck or at least in full view, I put nothing down anywhere, whether I'm using it or not, makes for an uncomfortable day if its hot but not as uncomfortable as losing the shots and equipment makes you feel. H

That's $2500 just for the body. I'm sure it had a lens, probably and L. At least another $750.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back