Canon 5D Mark II ???

stang96mj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I am interested in purchasing this camera. I am wondering what the best lens would be for it. Also if you have any advise or comments please tell me :D I already have the 50mm 1.8 and 75-300mm. Thanks for your help.

If you pick up a 5d mk2 you should know that you won't be able to use any EF-S or similar crop lens with it, and that you will need high quality lens to go together with this cam. This cam offers high quality of shots and you will probably find yourself using L glass or something similar from other manufacturers, rather than something cheap.

For instance I am pretty certain that your 50mm f1.8 won't be enough quality wise.

The lens totally depends on what you're doing. I'm using a 5D MkII with a 24-105L lens. To be totally honest, I almost wish I would have got a 7D so I could have spent a little more on glass. The "standard" setup, in my mind, would be something like the 24-105L or 24-70L for the short range, coupled with any of the 70-200L line. Whatever budget allows.

Keep in mind that having the best camera in the world won't do you any good if you're shooting through cheap glass. A 5D MkII probably won't do you any more good than a T2i if you're using, say, your 75-300 lens.

I would suggest focusing on getting good glass first with a moderately priced body, and then upgrade the body down the road. Barring accident, the lenses will outlast the camera body several times over if it's well taken care of.

I don't see any issues with purchasing a 5d MkII. It is a lot of camera and as has been mentioned, your current lens set will not really take advantage of this cameras full size sensor and amazing 21mp ability...

The 50mm 1.8 is a fine lens, but not a top-line lens and the 75-300 is usually considered pretty soft, especially at the long end........

A camera like this really needs Canons top-end "L" glass.. If you have been shooting with a crop camera you also need to be aware that a full frame camera will give you a different "look" because it will appear like your lens is 60% shorter than before...

Therefore, 24mm is a good wide angle where you may have needed 17mm on the crop camera for the same look....

I would now say, how much do you want to spend...

The 28-135mm Gold-ring lens is pretty nice and frequently seen with the 50d etc. A great lens for a reasonable price...

It will cost you triple for the 24-105mm-L, which frequently came on the 5d

A heavy, but spectacular and pricey lens, would be the 70-200 f2.8L, or f4L if you're on a budget...

eh....anyone purchasing a pro caliber camera should already have an idea what kind of lens needed to be purchase.....no?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back