Canon 5D Mark IV Rumored specs are similar to previously rumored specs...

iso9000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So it seems like these rumored specs are narrowing, as each time these specs are leaked, they are either identical or very similar to the previous leaked specs. According to a few sources (one of which being Rumors 5D Mark IV will Have 28MP Sensor 9 fps 4K Video Coming in August September 2015 Camera News at Cameraegg these are the specs (which is identical to the specs that were rumored about a month or two ago)
  • 28MP full frame sensor
  • 9 fps
  • 4K Video
  • Both the 5D Mark IV and 1D X Mark II update would see the launch of a ‘significant’ advance in Canon’s flash control capabilities.
  • New firmware will also available for Canon EOS 5D Mark III and other recent model
It seems like the 4k is the biggest change, and not much is being talked about in terms of dynamic range or ISO. I'm getting less excited about the 5DMKIV. For some people, 4k will be a big improvement. But for people who don't care too much about video, it doesn't seem that much of an upgrade. On top of that, most people will have to upgrade their computers to handle 4k video. I think this is the nail in the coffin that confirms my decision to get a Mark III now, instead of waiting for the Mark IV.

4k video from full-frame d-slr cameras has been a significant technology challenge, requiring usually a CROP of the whole sensor area, such as the 16:9 aspect off of a FF sensor, OR, an external recorder, or using a 1.3x CROP of the FF sensor in the Canon 1D-C (Cinema) model camera. The Mirrorless 4K Showdown Sony A7S Vs. Panasonic GH4 - Reviewed.com Cameras

Sony's A7s is the first FF camera that can do 4k natively without line-skipping or pixel binning, but it does require a slight 1.1x crop of the whole sensor, but that's not too awfully bad.Full-frame Sony A7S bucks trend with fewer larger pixels for great low-light shooting native 4K video

If this thing requires an external recorder, or makes users work in any way that feels "forced", the video set will probably still keep relying on the Panasonic GH4 for the ability to record native 4k video in-camera, direct to memory cards.

Bottom line is that 4k video really actually is EASIER to do off of a smaller sensor...

But 9 fps on a 28MP FX sensor sounds like a really great compromise of frame rates and total megapixel count, making for a very fast-shooting camera that also has a pretty large image file that can be cropped a good deal if needed. SInce the pro news/sports 1DX is 18 megapixels, 28 megapixels would be a pretty good increase in crop-ability when it is needed to make a better picture. The 9 FPS firing rate sounds pretty sweet as a marketing specification.

4k video from full-frame has ben a significant technology challenge, requiring usually a CROP of the whole sensor area, such as the 16:9 aspect off of a FF sensor, OR, an external recorder, or using a 1.3x CROP of the FF sensor in the Canon 1D-C (Cinema) model camera. The Mirrorless 4K Showdown Sony A7S Vs. Panasonic GH4 - Reviewed.com Cameras

If this thing requires an external recorder, or makes users work in any way that feels "forced", the video set will probably still keep relying on the Panasonic GH4 for the ability to record native 4k video in-camera, direct to memory cards.

Bottom line is that 4k video really actually is EASIER to do off of a smaller sensor...

But 9 fps on a 28MP FX sensor sounds like a really great compromise of frame rates and total megapixel count, making for a very fast-shooting camera that also has a pretty large image file that can be cropped a good deal if needed. SInce the pro news/sports 1DX is 18 megapixels, 28 megapixels would be a pretty good increase in crop-ability when it is needed to make a better picture. The 9 FPS firing rate sounds pretty sweet as a marketing specification.

It seems like if you're a sports shooter, this is definitely a big upgrade. But I think for the average consumer who is looking for an all round camera, I don't see myself paying more for a newer camera with upgrades that I personally don't see myself needing, such as 4k video or faster shooting. I have been waiting on news for the MkIV, but if the specs are anywhere close to the rumored specs above, I will be buying a MkIII. I have my eye on a deal from adorama, that is a MkIII with 24-70 f/4 that comes with a Canon PIXMA PRO-100, 5o semi gloss sheets, camera bag, and a 64 gb memory stick for $3249. What do you think of this package deal?

One the earlier EOS 5D aka the 5D Classic, and the 5D Mark II, dealers have offered a body + 24-105-L IS USM zoom + Canon Pixima printer deal for around $2999-is, or thereabouts, with some people figuring in an e-Bay sell-off of the printer for up to $4000, as a way to effectively end up with the camera body for something like $1999 or $2100, depending on the pricing. As to that specific deal: the older bundle was always the 24-105-L lens, which is $999 retail; the 24-70 f/4 is a more-expensive lens, but the general basis is similar. Compared to the INITIAL 5D, and 5D-Mark II, and 5D-Mark III, each of which were introduced at $3,499, then dropped to $3199 or so, and so on...you'll find that there are one or two dealers that seem to buy large numbers of 5D kits and then sell them at much lower prices that the majority of dealers, often for very short time frames. as the 5D and 5D-II came to the end of their lives, and AFTER the replacement models got into the channel, the deals tended to get better.

Bottom line on package deals: they come, and they go. Often quickly. They get better as the newer model gets into the channel, and as more and more used models makes the new inventory on discontinued models worth less and less. With a 24-70 f/4 and a printer, it seems like a pretty fair price to me at $3249, but be aware that in three or five or six months, that might drop to $2999 or maybe something ridiculous like $2899--for short periods of time, from specific dealers. But TODAY? Mid-March 2015? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, but I have not been watching prices like a hawk.

I can't wait. Perfect all around camera for people who need that kind of solution.

I can shoot land scapes in the morning, portraits at lunch, sports in the afternoon and high quality video at night.

4k is a huge deal for the video world! Even though it's not in everyone's homes right now, it does mean anything I shoot now will be future proof.

An interesting attempt of Canon to get back title of best general use/wedding camera.
I am sure its low light performance will be impressive and so will its AF system, the 4K will also be welcomed by wedding photographers who will use the 5D IV both for stills and video.
From the FPS it looks like it will also be a good sports camera.
Will be interesting to see how it will stack up against the D750
Looks like a very impressive camera by Canon.

runnah said:
I can't wait. Perfect all around camera for people who need that kind of solution.

I can shoot land scapes in the morning, portraits at lunch, sports in the afternoon and high quality video at night.

What I see as interesting about a 5D-Mark IV is the price and price/performance and its position in the Canon FF hierarchy: 1D-Cinema on top, 1DX very high up, 5D Mark IV at the $3499 intro/$2899 close-out over 3.5 years price structure, 7D Mark II now dropping to $1499 this very month for the first time ($1799 at intro, or 1/2 the price more of less of the new 5D model from the 2005-2015 era).

With Nikon loading up on FF cameras with FIVE basic FF models (Df,D610,D810,D750,D4s), Canon needs a FF that can realllllly kick ass is multiple segments, and the 28MP, 9 fps, 4k video is sort of whole ball of wax territory, aka the one camera solution, at a price point that's probably got plenty of profit in it.

hopefully the high ISO performance and dynamic range is improved, I have lots of friends that are landscape/astro photographers still shooting Canon who are dying for a better sensor in those respects.

runnah said:

What I see as interesting about a 5D-Mark IV is the price and price/performance and its position in the Canon FF hierarchy: 1D-Cinema on top, 1DX very high up, 5D Mark IV at the $3499 intro/$2899 close-out over 3.5 years price structure, 7D Mark II now dropping to $1499 this very month for the first time ($1799 at intro, or 1/2 the price more of less of the new 5D model from the 2005-2015 era).

With Nikon loading up on FF cameras with FIVE basic FF models (Df,D610,D810,D750,D4s), Canon needs a FF that can realllllly kick ass is multiple segments, and the 28MP, 9 fps, 4k video is sort of whole ball of wax territory, aka the one camera solution, at a price point that's probably got plenty of profit in it.

Which is why I am excited for this. One camera in one bag that covers any and all situations very well.

Personally I like the structure of canons lineup, not too complicated.

hopefully the high ISO performance and dynamic range is improved, I have lots of friends that are landscape/astro photographers still shooting Canon who are dying for a better sensor in those respects.

It might. Sounds like its a new sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back