Canon 5D Shutter Release

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by vonDrehle, Dec 7, 2006.

1. vonDrehle

vonDrehle New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Hey,
    I have been looking for a shutter release for my Canon 5D and I'm not sure which one would work the best. I basically need it for night photography so I don't vibrate the camera and eventually I want to try some long exposure star shots. On BandH photo they have several remotes available, I'm assuming these are what I'm looking for. I am looking at these two.
    Dot Line WIreless RF Remote Release

Canon Timer Remote Controller

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. Alex_B

Alex_B New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +205 / 0
    My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit
    well, canon timers are quite expensive... and wireless unless you need it is a toy you pay extra as well.

if you want to safe money, go for an even more simple model, without a timer. your camera can handle everything up to 30 seconds... beyond that you can use your stopwatch (with an exposure time of 10 minutes it does not matter much if you get it wrong by 10 seconds ;) )
  3. Iron Flatline

Iron Flatline Guest

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have two for my Canon 5D - the Timer Remote Controller that you link to, and a simpler, non-programmable version of that. The 5D will only allow you to go up to 30 seconds, so if you want to go longer than you'll need it.

The simple one is good as well, esp. if you're shooting groups of people in-doors under low-light conditions.

If all else fails when doing night shots below 30 secs, just set the shutter to timer, do the ten-second count-down, and let the camera take the exposure. That way you won't get camera-shake from depressing the shutter button.
  4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,755 / 0
    Often, for landscapes, I just use the self timer function...but I do have a cheap, made-in-China remote that I got on E-bay for $12...works great.
  5. Iron Flatline

Iron Flatline Guest

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To add something - the simpler one allows you to lock down the button, so if you want to go beyond 30 secs you just set it to Bulb, and then lock down the release. That way you don't have to stand there with nothing to do during a 15 minute exposure.

The simpler one is usually all I really need. I bought the more complex one on one of those days where I absolutely had to have a new camera toy, it is not a purchase that was really necessary. It's also a little unintuitive in its programming.
  6. Iron Flatline

Iron Flatline Guest

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. Alex_B

Alex_B New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +205 / 0
    yes, that is the one i have ... most likely good enough for all situations.
  8. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0
    Don't forget to use mirror lock, remote or not. With mirror lock and the self timer enabled, you get a 2 second wait. With no self timer, you simple press the shutter release once to flip up the mirror, and a second time to trip the shutter.
  9. vonDrehle

vonDrehle New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    My Photos Are OK to Edit
    Thanks everyone for the help. I'm going to go with the Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3 Definitely saved me some money. I’ve never used mirror lock before so do you use that just at night for long exposures or is it good to use it all the time?
  10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,755 / 0
    Mirror lock up could/should be used anytime you are on a tripod.

If your shutter speed is high enough...the small movement from the mirror slap probably won't matter much anyway...but as the shutter speed gets lower...MLU will certainly help.

Off the top of my head...I think that mirror slap blur is at it's worst at around 1/15 to about 2 seconds. There are plenty of factors though...stability of camera/lens/tripod....balance etc.
  11. Alex_B

Alex_B New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +205 / 0
    for extremely long exposures (if you get to minutes) the effect of mirror lock is negligible .. for extremely short ones too, but everything in between is affected by shake due to the mirror swinging up