Canon 5D, What's It Worth Used?

BAB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I may have a chance to pick up an almost new hardly used Canon 5D and was curious what would be a fair price? If this does pan out, it might be a "make me an offer" deal.

Thanks.

go to keh.com and find out

bhphotovideo.com might also have some used ones, if not try adorama.com

go to keh.com and find out

bhphotovideo.com might also have some used ones, if not try adorama.com

Already been to both places, KEH only had 1 and B&H had none. I was hoping that someone on this site might have a good hand on the used market for this camera.

hmmm sorry. i don't know many people who buy used digital cameras.

Take a look on Ebay and see if there are any on there and what they're going for secondhand.

I currently buy secondhand digital cameras, due to being on a budget. All of my camera gear (apart from the 1Gb CF card) has come off Ebay, and all of it except the nifty fifty lens is secondhand, and so far no problems at all with it! ;)

If it's got less than 5,000 actuations, I'd pay about $2,200 for it.

I have bought a few 2nd hand digitals on ePay. Paid full price for a D1X new in 2002, then 2 backup bodies one on ePay for $900 and another from an individual for $500. Just be careful, read the sellers history and ask questions. I don't buy from outside the states except Australia and the UK. ( My daughter has had problems with purchases from Hong Kong. )

@bab - where have you seen this 5D - is it Ebay, online store or somewhere like in the back of the paper in the classifieds?

Best to get as much info on the camera as you can, like no. of actuations, has it being used professionally, and if you can get any good quality pictures of the camera. Also if you can go and physically see the camera to see for yourself it's condition all's the better!

Turn the camera on, and on the back hit Info. There will be a little folder icon, and a file icon. The number next to the file icon is the number of shots taken.

I've had mine since December 2005, and I have about 8,100 actuations, though I haven't really used mine since January 2007. I'm pretty active, my camera is flawless, I don't baby it, but I don't thrash it either.

Iron,

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the actuation accuracy on the 5D.

That number (and file number system) is only generated from the last shot taken with a particular CF card. If you put someone else's card in you will notice it change. As well that number only goes up to 10K It could have rolled over.

I've heard the only true way to check is to take it into canon and have their tech's check it in some special way. If there is another way I would love to know about it.

All of my digital cameras have been 2nd hand, my EOS 1D, EOS 1D mkII and my 30D which has saved me over £4200

But in answer to the original question, a used camera is worth the amount YOU are prepared to pay for it.

The last 5D we had in 2nd hand sold for £200 less than a new one, it was sold within 40 minutes of coming into the shop

Most reactions

Back