Canon 5d

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Frank Morano, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Frank Morano

Frank Morano TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is the Canon 5d as good as most people say it is?

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes.

depending on what you have heard

Got anything more specific to ask?

3. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No ..depending on what you heard. (lol)

Gary

4. photogincollege

photogincollege TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 5d is a great camera, but it is due for a replacement soon from what most say, so might wanna wait.

5. brileyphotog

brileyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Canon 5D offers solid performance but miserably fails the drop test from the roof of a 10 story building onto concrete.

They don't make 'em like they used to.

6. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey, even a fall from waist high will crack the battery grip (don't try this at home) ...

The 5D in a great camera ... but so are other Canon cameras. Is the camera worth about twice what a 30D/40D ... by inference is the 5D twice the camera of a 30D/40D or three times the camera of an XTi?

No it isn't, unless you like making big prints without up-sampling ... mmmmh ...say 16"x20" and up ... or rountinely shoot at high ISOs and don't use noise reduction.

I have a 20D and a 5D. Up to an 8x10 (at ISO 400-) one cannot see any dif between a CMOS APS-C sensor or a FF sensor ... (nor can one see a dif between an XT/XTi and the 5D once again ... up to an 8x10 at ISO 400-).

The 5D is certainly wider when using similar focal length lenses ... but conversely ... the APS-C is certainly longer when using similar focal length lenses.

The principal and most visible advantages the 5D has over a smaller sensor is less noise at elevated ISOs and at large print sizes. The 5D should be priced around $2,000.

Gary

7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 5D is certainly a nice camera. It does not do wonders, but wonders are reserved to the gods and not to technology anyway ;)
    I do like it, I like its bright viewfinder, I like my ultra wide angles to be ultra wide, I like its overall performance, I like its compactness compared to the 1D-series.

For my shooting habits it was certainly the right decision (2 years ago). And even today I would buy the same camera.

Might be right for you, might be not. It really depends on you, what you shoot, how you shoot.

Waiting for a 5D replacement could take ages still. And said replacement will certainly cost at least $1000 more than the current 5D once it hits the market.