Canon 60D is Officially Here

They forgot to add Rebel to the name, that's what this camera is it seems. The specs is not to bad but really don't see anything to make it better than the 50D besides the extra 3MP. It even is using the SD card rather than the CF and it's all plastic body means it going to be weak. This camera is a real disappointment

*Yawn* Boring.

Same thoughts. Does it even have video capabilities? I was skimming over the specs and didn't see it mentioned. I could have missed it though. Well, sales will dictate what Canon does next with teh XXD series.

No flash sync socket
The more I read, the less I like it.

As mentioned about, this is a lot more like a Rebel than the 50D was. I don't think I'll be getting this one. So should I get a 50D or a 7D?

50D unless you really want the video. I'm having a hard time deciding myself although the 7D does have a better power switch. I hate the location of the 50D. It's a real PITA

maybe canon's plan is a 70-300mm lens that will take a M3 1.4TC - giving them a more reliable lens for manufacture and production than the 100-400mm superzoom whilst also offering people the use of teleconverters to get the range back of the 100-400mm

to be honest its what I expected - its not really an upgrade camera body its a new to 1.6 crop at midrange price camera body. Not quit entry level and not quite semipro with an expected price to match - I suspect only a little more than the leading rebel to try and entice people up the price scales. Ratherlike how the 1000D and similar camera bodies sit.

Well, it's an f/4-5.6, so not sure if it will AF with a teleconverter on a crop-sensor body.

It seems like the Canon xxD series is now targeting directly to Nikon D9x become a advance entry level DSLR.

with the 7D series being the midrange pro option - makes sense though - I don't think anyone really expected the 60D to trump the 7D -- though yet again canons RRP strikes again in making people hesitant to purchase early on

I sent a email to Canon asking if it will qualify for the CPS program. I really don't see any reason for it to, but it will tell where Canon official stand is on the XXD line. At least for the time being.

They forgot to add Rebel to the name, that's what this camera is it seems. The specs is not to bad but really don't see anything to make it better than the 50D besides the extra 3MP. It even is using the SD card rather than the CF and it's all plastic body means it going to be weak. This camera is a real disappointment

I think you are right -- the lower continuous rate, articulated LCD, plastic body all point to this really being the high end of Canon's consumer DSLRs rather than the entry level for the serious shooter that the 50D was.

In many ways, this seems like a sweet spot for the 'tweeners (amateurs demanding better controls than an entry-level DSLR body) -- a positioning that seemed to work well for Nikon over the past few years with the D90.

I went back and looked. Yes, some interesting glass. I see they don't have a price yet on that 70-300mm f/4-5.6L ... That lens is an extremely attractive option if it's not outrageously priced ...
Looks like the non-L 70-300mm f/4-5.6 has disappeared from Canon's web site (at least the US one). If the plan is to retire that one, this new one may come at a reasonable (relatively speaking) price.

Last edited:
I'm sure this will excite the heck out of the 50D owners that were waiting for the 60D to upgrade (not).

All those CF cards they've accumulated? Scrap them! That nice metal chassis you have... eh, trade up to the new and improved plastic (assuming this is true, which it seems to be).

Canon should have let the xxD series die with the 50D vs. downgrading it to a super Rebel. Or maybe they plan on ditching the Rebel line down the road.

... articulated LCD

I certainly wouldn't have minded if they had put one of those on my 7D. It could have come in handy for macro shooting at ground level.

BTW, I think (if I read it correctly) that they actually upgraded the video. It looks like there is some audio level control rather than that stupid un-overrideable AGC.

True, but it seems so chincy though :\ Although I havent personally handled a dslr with an articulating screen before... but just looking at it, it just seems like it wouldnt take to much to break it.

True, but it seems so chincy though :\ Although I havent personally handled a dslr with an articulating screen before... but just looking at it, it just seems like it wouldnt take to much to break it.

I had one on a P&S that was pretty solid.

I'm sure this will excite the heck out of the 50D owners that were waiting for the 60D to upgrade (not).
That's not a surprise. The 30D wasn't a good upgrade from the 20D. The 40D was a marginal upgrade from the 30D. The 50D wasn't much of an upgrade from the 40D.
But going from the 20D to the 40D or 50D is a good upgrade...and going from any of the Rebels to the current X0D was a good upgrade.

That being said, I'm a little disappointed in the direction they have taken the X0D series...but from Canon's POV, it makes perfect sense because the 60D is positioned right in the middle of the Rebel and the 7D.

I hear all these people complaining about the switch from an alloy body to a composite (plastic) body...but is that really an issue? I think I read that it saves 13% on weight, and probably costs them less as well. Has the strength of the body ever been an issue for anyone...besides bragging about it? I'm sure I could stand on a Rebel body and the dials & buttons would break long before the structure of the body.

Your popup flash might never like you again if you try that!

That being said, I'm a little disappointed in the direction they have taken the X0D series...but from Canon's POV, it makes perfect sense because the 60D is positioned right in the middle of the Rebel and the 7D.
It seems they took the 50D which was more 7D like and mixed things up a bit with the 60D and made it more Rebel like. I'm not sure I like the direction, but then I'm not the target market.

I hear all these people complaining about the switch from an alloy body to a composite (plastic) body...but is that really an issue? I think I read that it saves 13% on weight, and probably costs them less as well. Has the strength of the body ever been an issue for anyone...besides bragging about it? I'm sure I could stand on a Rebel body and the dials & buttons would break long before the structure of the body.
I personally wouldn't trade a alloy body for a plastic body if I could avoid it. I don't like the way the plastic bodies feel, either Canon or Nikon. If you've never had a alloy bodied camera and the 60D was your first body, it probably doesn't make a difference. But if you're coming from a 50D it might make a difference.

I agree that the plastic body probably costs less to manufacture, but that's apparently not a benefit to the consumer. The MSRP for the 60D is $1,099 which happens to be the exact same MSRP for the 50D.

I know the D90 is a tough body as I've seen threads with pics of D90's that have been dropped and the lens took more damage than the body did.

How does the weather sealing of the 60D stack up against that of the 50D? Better? Worse? I guess time and future reviews will tell.

Most reactions

Back