Canon 60D is Officially Here

I'm waiting for the review on this and probably get this camera because of the full HD video. If the video is good enough to film in, I could knock two birds with one stone for temporary.

I am a little late to this party, and will be honest, I haven't ready every single post in it. I just wanted to weigh in on it. I am HIGHLY disappointed in the 60D announcement. All it has is a few more megapixels, a flip out screen, and some on camera flash control. I still don't see that being enough to make someone step up from a T2i, or to step down from a 7D. I was waiting for this announcement to decide if I wanted a 60D or 7D. Looks like I will be going with the 7D. The biggest deal breakers to me, was the lowering of the FPS from the 50D, as well as no real substantial improvement to the AF grid.

I am a little late to this party, and will be honest, I haven't ready every single post in it. I just wanted to weigh in on it. I am HIGHLY disappointed in the 60D announcement. All it has is a few more megapixels, a flip out screen, and some on camera flash control. I still don't see that being enough to make someone step up from a T2i, or to step down from a 7D. I was waiting for this announcement to decide if I wanted a 60D or 7D. Looks like I will be going with the 7D. The biggest deal breakers to me, was the lowering of the FPS from the 50D, as well as no real substantial improvement to the AF grid.

Compared to the T2i, it adds a rear control dial, top LCD, quicker burst (not as fast as 50D, but faster than T2i), in addition to the flash control (which is HUGE in of itself) and the flippy outty screen.

Perhaps a T2i owner may not want to step into a 60D, but for a T1i, XSi or XTi owner, the 60D may look downright fantastic; and at a cost $600 cheaper than the 7D.

I personally wouldn't buy one, but I'm not their target demographic. I think the 60D will sell nicely.

I, like many on here think that the 60D is aiming for a new audience who want to get into photography and wanted something a little more than entry but don't want to spend a big chunk of cash on the 7D. Also, people who have the rebel series or even Nikon D60, D3000 and etc who might switch. If they made the 60D any better like many hoped, it will be right next to the 7D and it wouldn't compete with Nikon mid-range camera like D90 and soon to be D90 replacement.

The flip out LCD and full HD video will attract families who want to take photo and the ability to record video at the same time for family event, vacation and etc. Please note that in a family, usually the dad is the one doing all photography/video work. So one person can't be holding two things at the same time. It's mid-range price is just right there for people tempting to get, with the full HD video and flip out screen, that I believe will push people into buying it instead of the t1i, t2i and Nikon's D5000, D3100 and D90.

There's no doubt that the camera itself might not be such an upgrade from the 50D for people who already own the 50D or even the 40D. But for new consumer or people with an old set of camera, it's a pretty good buy. I can't wait to see what Nikon is doing with D90 replacement. That will determine if the 60D is failure or not. It will still do well, it's a Canon but for people who breathe Photography, it's a different story. With the D3100 coming out with great stats on paper, I think Nikon has something up their sleeves with the D90 replacement. What a horrible time for me to decide to buy a camera.

Yeah, I agree it has more features than the T2i, I just think that there is typically 3 types of people. Entry-level budget minded, above average hobbyist, and semi-pro/pro. Given that you have the T2i, the 7D, and the 5D/1DS, these 3 areas are fairly covered. If you couple that with the fact that MOST consumer retail outlets do not carry anything higher than the Rebel line, I think most beginners are going to opt for a T2i, with the thought that they are already going more expensive than the XS. ( remember, most people new to photography already think that getting a Rebel is like the top of the line ). People that DO know about photography and are more advanced would most likely opt for the 7D. I just don't think a flippy screen, step down in speed, and an aux. LCD are enough to make someone land at that spot on the scale. They would either revert to saving money, or go all in and go for the 7D. Originally I thought that the 7D was the replacement to the 50D. I mean it had a few more megapixels, a slightly faster speed, and improved AF. I understand that they are trying to hit some niche price point or maybe compete with a specific Nikon model, but I just feel that anyone that is above "newbie" status and using canon, would probably scoff at this upgrade. I would rather save the cash and just buy a 50D.

This is all my opinion though. I am sure that many people will get reeled in by the new bells and whistles. Just like people get reeled in by megapixels.

I agree that this may not seem like a good upgrade from a 50D. 40D, possible but not as significant.

Possible reasons for getting the 60D would be:
1. it's your first dslr
2. you "need" the HD video + flipping lcd
3. flash sync
4. can't afford the 7D

Well, if you don't need the fast fps, you might even just consider the 550D.

The Online Photographer: New Canon 60D Defines a New Niche

Headline reads: "New Canon 60D Defines a New Niche".

Conclusion: "So who is this new model for? Shouldn't take a genius to figure that out. It's for those who want a better-made and more prestigious camera than the (also very capable) entry-level T2i, but who don't want to commit to the semi-pro Canon 7D."
"It also strikes us, given our prejudices, as a pretty juicy new option for dedicated amateurs devoted to the "have it with you" school of thought. Smaller size and an articulated viewing screen being just what the doctor would have ordered."
"Price, $1100; availability, a month from now. For a rundown of features and upgrades, here's the press release."

^ Which is exactly what the last four pages of comments have said. :thumbup:

It looks like they reduced the number of "custom modes" from 2 on the 50D to 1 on the 60D. 40D had three.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back