Canon 60D or 7D or Rebel T4i

Yukiko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there!

I am looking into purchasing a new DSLR camera since my old Rebel T1i was stolen.
I'm trying to decide between a Canon EOS 60D, 7D or the new Rebel T4i.
Any suggestions? My budget is around $1,000 and the 7D is quite expensive, but is it worth it to invest over $1700?
I normally use my camera for photos, but I do use the video function as well from time to time.

I have also been looking into buying a used camera (Canon 60D) from Kerrisdale Cameras, B&H Photo or even Craigslist.
It seems a bit risky, but any thoughts?

Thanks and would love to hear your advice.

Yukiko

Over $1700 for a 7D? You should easily be able to find a very good used one on eBay or Craigslist for $1200.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Having a 60D myself, I'm biased towards the 60D. I'm told that 60Ds are very good at videos, as well.

As for the T4i, I'd probably pass on that one. As a brand new model, I'd expect a few 'teething problems' for the first 6 months or so of production. Whether it's internal firmware problems, (in)compatible computer software issues, or even surprise 'light leaks', my 45+ years experience in computers tells me to avoid being on the "bleeding edge" of new products.

Thanks for all your advice! It's all very helpful. But now my Nikon friends have suggested the Nikon D90, so I'm contemplating between the Canon 60D or Nikon D90....
I have always used a Canon, but I've heard great things about the Nikon D90 as well, so I am torn between the two.
A couple people on Craigslist are offering to sell their Nikon D90 with lens plus accessories for $575 or $750.

What would you recommend between the two cameras?

Thanks again!

Yukiko said:
Thanks for all your advice! It's all very helpful. But now my Nikon friends have suggested the Nikon D90, so I'm contemplating between the Canon 60D or Nikon D90....
I have always used a Canon, but I've heard great things about the Nikon D90 as well, so I am torn between the two.
A couple people on Craigslist are offering to sell their Nikon D90 with lens plus accessories for $575 or $750.

What would you recommend between the two cameras?

Thanks again!

If you like canon stay canon. Don't switch only because people tell you one brand is better. Everyone seems to think the brand they're using is the best. My advice is you're swearing bodies too much. Just pick one in the price range that feels right. There's really no such thing as a bad camera body anymore

Do you have any Canon friends? If you are not invested in lens, perhaps going with Nikon is not a bad idea so that you can borrow lenses from each other. My friend has D7000 and it seems to be a very capable camera.

Get a 7D, all other cameras are toys in comparison. Buy it used, you can get one in good condition cheap now because a lot of people went to 5d2 after 5d3's launch. Also check out Canon Loyalty Program for 7D

Get a 7D, all other cameras are toys in comparison. Buy it used, you can get one in good condition cheap now because a lot of people went to 5d2 after 5d3's launch. Also check out Canon Loyalty Program for 7D

I wouldn't say 'all other cameras are toys in comparison."

That's kind of a silly assertion. The 60D is a very capable camera, especially if you like video. The Rebel is... Well, a rebel. But I wouldn't consider them toys.

sovietdoc said:

Are you referring to the body style? If you are then yes the 7D has the most durable body of the three.

The 7D and the 60D have the same sensor though.

If you want more video options go with the 60D. If you couldn't care less about video and want more still imaging options choose the 7D

When the three cameras are basically the same camera with different bodies, saying the others are toys is kind of misleading :(

sovietdoc said:

Are you referring to the body style? If you are then yes the 7D has the most durable body of the three.

The 7D and the 60D have the same sensor though.

If you want more video options go with the 60D. If you couldn't care less about video and want more still imaging options choose the 7D

When the three cameras are basically the same camera with different bodies, saying the others are toys is kind of misleading :(

Well, they do feel like toys compared to the 7D. The 7D is so much better in terms of build quality, weather sealing, autofocus, and that awesome viewfinder. I think that anyone comparing them should hold the cameras in their hands before making a decision.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I appreciate all the advice. Thanks!
I'll be checking out some cameras today to make my final decision.
Also, does anyone know if the Canon Loyalty Program applies in Canada?
I've been searching for more information on the web, but unable to find much info for Canada specifically....

It depends on what you want to shoot, or grow into shooting. Any birds, action shots like cars, boats, cycles, etc. - 7D for sure. Most would be more than happy with the 60D for all their needs. Avoid the D90 from Nikon. Great as hell camera but it's a bit outdated. I would look at the D7000 is you wanted to go the Nikon route. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Over $1700 for a 7D? You should easily be able to find a very good used one on eBay or Craigslist for $1200.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Or Amazon, both sites offer good cameras, since i've bought mine from there.

Most reactions

Back