Canon 60D what is the best sports lense?

Kattanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a canon 60D and shoot lots of baseball, I'm looking for a new sports sense and would like advise on what to get. My business is growing and want to get better shots.

300 f2.8 II, 400 f2.8 and 500 f4 are wonderful sport lenses. Since you didn't mention a budget I assume you can afford the best. The good news is, if you do have a modest budget all of Canons telephoto primes come in different configurations for different needs and budgets.

The Sigma 150-600 sport is good if you are away from the field a bit and want more reach.

300 f2.8 II, 400 f2.8 and 500 f4 are wonderful sport lenses. Since you didn't mention a budget I assume you can afford the best. The good news is, if you do have a modest budget all of Canons telephoto primes come in different configurations for different needs and budgets.
Im not really set on a budget at this time wanted to see what was out there and compare pricing with what will fit my needs.

I dunno...I've shot baseball with a few different lenses, and depending on WHERE you shoot from, different lenses will be better, or easier to use. If you can shoot from the home team's dugout, a long lens is a PITA to use, and a zoom like a 70-200 f/2.8 is pretty handy, whereas a 300/2.8 is too long, and the 200/2 is also too long.

There are different kinds of baseball images: shots that are "vanity shots" that show individual players sort of isolated from the action; newspaper shots that show action with some context (maybe even, gasp, two or even three players in one frame!), and other types of photos also.

I've used 70-200, 100-300 Sigma f/4 HSM-APO, 300/2.8 AF-S,200/2, 400/3.5 manual focus with pre-set focusing distance, 80-400 f/4.5~5.6and APS-C, APS-C with both the standard 1.5x crop and also a high-speed 8.2 frames per second 2.0 x crop, and Full frame.

I think in terms of overall "BEST" image, the 300/2.8 is the best focuser for speed, sureness, AND its big, wide aperture (the physical SIZE of the hole in absolute terms, not relatrve, not the f-value) allows you to shoot from behind the backstop or through side-fences, and TOTALLY defocus the chain-link; the 300mm focal length lens is NOT too good for really close-in shots, like say 1st base action from the home team dugout; it is actually wayyyy too long a lens on 1.6x.

The 300/2.8 has MUCH better optics than these low-cost 150-600 zooms AND allows MUCH faster shutter speeds, for very deep,deep crop-ins on outfield shots, or from 3rd base dugout shooting across the infield to first base and to second base slides. The big lenses lend credibility to you: it's a weird psychological effect, but very,very real.

For stationing yourself at third base area in the stands, the longer zoom lenses, with 100mm short end, come into play: the Sigma 100-300 f/4 HSM would be the best easily-hand-held lens for covering close and moderately-far action. The APS-C cameras really change the way lenses behave.

Canon 's 70-200/2.8 MK-II has ASTOUNDING optics...I would not overlook it. People forget about cropping-in at the computer a lot these days. Only you can know how you shoot a game, and under what kind of lights/no-lights, and from where, and what you can sell.

Hope the link works. All of the baseball shots were with Canon 100-400 USM L. from the box seats on the mezzanine above first base.
Picasa Web Albums - Monte Phillips - Action & Sports

Those are great photos thanks for sharing , I have been shooting with a 75-300 f/4-5.6 , tonight I went to a few different stores and found a sigma 150-500 and they let me put it on my camera and test it out its brand new the old model and was on sell for a great price since the new one was going out so I bought it and can't wait to use it . Attached is a picture from my old lense .
121665055f4bb780142c79892c2d41db.jpg
5e4d1041294e7d91dd71dfdfe8b4f7f8.jpg

Hope the link works. All of the baseball shots were with Canon 100-400 USM L. from the box seats on the mezzanine above first base.

Those are great photos thanks for sharing , I have been shooting with a 75-300 f/4-5.6 , tonight I went to a few different stores and found a sigma 150-500 and they let me put it on my camera and test it out its brand new the old model and was on sell for a great price since the new one was going out so I bought it and can't wait to use it . Attached is a picture from my old lense .

that could work but for sports and action the old original 100-400 could be better
(good luck)
60D with 100-400 (original)
18678479776_eed892e3e6_h.jpg

Thanks I'll let you know how it goes will be shooting a baseball tournament this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that could work but for sports and action the old original 100-400 could be better
(good luck)
A lot of noise in this. Was it a night game under lights?

(good luck)
A lot of noise in this. Was it a night game under lights?
It was at Minute Maid Park dome was closed that day those are a few of my favorite pictures I took they day still haven't mastered photoshop enough to reduce noise .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back