Canon 60D

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Rumor has it that the pending 60D will have an articulated display. Read more here:

Camera aficionados, looks like it's time for the pre-PMA rumor mill to start churning. Our inaugural whisper this season comes care of a forum poster at d-spot.co.il, who according to Canon Rumors' tipster has been accurate in the past (at this point we've been unable to corroborate). Here's the deal: a Canon 60D and Canon 550D / 600D (i.e. Rebel series). Both apparently feature a 15.1 megapixel APS-C sensor, articulating screens, and 720p video at 30 frames per second. The 60D, however, can also claim 1080p footage -- odd that the Rebel doesn't, since the current T1i has 1080p -- an electronic level, and a new battery and grip compared to its 50D successor. That one's apparently priced at around $1,190 and due out in May, while the other is $799 with no connection to a release date given. Make no mistake, between this and those waterproof Sony point-and-shoots, this is only the beginning.

Canon prepping 60D and 550D / 600D with articulating displays? -- Engadget

Last edited:
I'm confused as to why canon would continue the XXd line. The 50D was effectivly replaced by the 7D so to replace the 50D with a 60D which is either lesser than the new 7D just makes no sense - just as it makes little senes to have a superior 60D to the 7D when the 7D is so new (especailly in current market times).

Unless we are going to end up with two midrange competing crop sensor DSLRs. I already consider the 1000D a bit of a waste of a release and now they are aiming for midrange like this as well?

I'm confused as to why canon would continue the XXd line. The 50D was effectivly replaced by the 7D so to replace the 50D with a 60D which is either lesser than the new 7D just makes no sense - just as it makes little senes to have a superior 60D to the 7D when the 7D is so new (especailly in current market times).

Unless we are going to end up with two midrange competing crop sensor DSLRs. I already consider the 1000D a bit of a waste of a release and now they are aiming for midrange like this as well?
Actually, I'm with you on that one. I've argued it made no sense for some time now. We'll see what the specs and pricing looks like. But from where I sit, it's a product line blunder.

I already see a divide in what canon intend us to do with the 5D and 7D releases (one is clearly a studio camera whilst the other is clearly more aimed at sports and action) I would hate that they break the sport/action camera down further. Whilst most of us have a set idea of how we are going to use our DSLR the power of a DSLR (and for that matter SLRs in general) rests with being able to adapt and turn your hand to anything with the right lens.

I guess in these times canon are seeing more people upgrading camera bodies and advancing that way than with lenses - which when you hit the pro end is bascially a long term purchase provided you treat the lens with some care. But I still don't get the idea of saturating the market with your own products.

Unless their plan is to drive out hte competition by taking up all the shelf space ;)

Well, the 7D was a big upgrade from the 50D. I think it's meant to compete more with the D300 etc.

I don't think they viewed the 7D as an upgrade from the 50D but rather it was a new product line. Thus, it only made sense for them to upgrade the 50D.

That being said, I do agree, I don't personally see the need to upgrade.

I do recall at the time of the release of the 7D that Canon stated it was not an upgrade - but honestly as far as I can tell the photographic community certainly have treated it in the very same regard as an upgrade

It's usually about shelf-space at Big Box retailers. Sony and others have done it other sectors (cameras, headphones, etc) where you have dozens of versions with minute differences, but a wall of that manufacturer. It puts pressure on smaller or less committed competitors.

I thought the 7D was a 5D with a 1.6 crop sensor... are you saying that the 50D was that, too?

If they want market shares. they should release 60D. They sell more lower end DSLRs than their pro bodies.

except it's not... the 7D has a much better focusing system than the 5D does. and it also has the color intuitive metering. The 5D/5DII autofocus is generally considered to be terrible outside of it's center point in low light. The 7D doesn't have this problem. Which is a major reason for many photogs to go to 1Ds bodies for wedding work.

Unless their plan is to drive out hte competition by taking up all the shelf space ;)
Nah, Nikon has the corner on shelf space. Canon out sells them readily. Canon's move, Nikon's don't. Nikon can keep their shelf space. :D

except it's not... the 7D has a much better focusing system than the 5D does. and it also has the color intuitive metering. The 5D/5DII autofocus is generally considered to be terrible outside of it's center point in low light. The 7D doesn't have this problem. Which is a major reason for many photogs to go to 1Ds bodies for wedding work.
...and the color metering hasn't done much for the 7D expect to cause it to stutter in certain lighting conditions so it can't hit its claimed 8fps. It certainly hasn't improved WB or IQ. It hasn't made it worse either... if it weren't for it screwing up the fps, it would be a wash. I also suspect this is why they left this "improvement" out of the 1D4.

Ive been wondering the same thing. Id really like to get a new camera but will wait to see what comes out and if any prices will come down before I go get one. Although Im waiting to see what nikon comes out with.

Most reactions

Back