Canon 6D LCD Screen Protector

RxForB3

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I literally just got my 6D. I figured while the battery was charging, I'd have a look around for a screen protector. I can't seem to find anything and I found a post on another forum suggesting one is not needed. Any ideas if this is true? Perhaps because it's plastic and not glass?

if you are not careful, you can scratch it. Up to you if you want to protect it or not. You can buy those film you put on smart phone screen. They sell the universal ones where you can cut your self to fit.

That's what I was thinking, too. I just can't believe there aren't really any available yet...

$image.jpg$image.jpg
I bought one of these for my Canon. I took the pop up part off and stuck the screen protector part over my LCD screen. Has worked great for me for 2 years.
sorry, crappy pics taken with iPad
http://delkin.com/i-5829814-universal-black-pop-up-shade-for-3-0-inch-diagonal-lcds.html

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,159
6D has an unusual LCD size of 3.2inch, slightly bigger than the standard 3inch. Perhaps that is why it's still to early to be able to buy this size screen protector.

Question: Why did you buy 6D instaed of D600? I preferred the Nikon because of the specs but ended up buying 6D because it is lighter, and because of that lens - 24mm f2.8 IS USM - a quite bright lens with image stabilization equivalent to 4 stops. This combo is $1,000 less than the Nikon D600 + 24mm f1.4. Also got the pancake 40mm f2.8. This should be a very fun lens to use!!!

This must be a 3 inch screen. The Canon 6D has a 3.2 inch screen

I bought the 6D partly because I have several Canon lenses already. However, the MAIN reason is because of its wonderful high ISO capabilities which will be very useful for nightscapes if the skies ever decide to clear up...

My 5D3 was a week old before I put on a Vello slide-on screen protector. 3 days later, I succeeded in putting a 2" diagonal scratch on it that resists easy removal.

I chose the Vello to get a an 'eyecup extender' which doesn't exist for a 5D3 (THANKS, Canon!...the others don't fit the larger viewfinder). Otherwise I would have bought a 'stick on' protector, and probably may still do so...plus an extender. Even if I replace the slide-on protector, $24 is minor expense compared to replacing the LCD.

Just got my 6D as well. It is strange how a lot of third party vendors do not have after market products ready. I mean the camera has been available for demo for along time. Perhaps vendors hedge their bets to see how popular a new camera will be.

I am waiting for Vello to put out their 6D LCD Protector Screen. I ordered the one they have for the 7D hoping that it would fit, but as others have mentioned the 6D's screen is actually a 3.2", although Canon lists it as a 3". Ideally I will wait for the Snap-On version as it has eye-piece protection as well:

Vello Snap-On LCD Screen Protector for Canon 7D SPSO-C7D B&H

I put a universal screen protector on my 6D as soon as it came out the box, its similar to a smartphone protector.

Another thing to consider is that im a mechanical engineer and work with very sharp and hard machine parts all day and have never damaged my samsung s2 which does not have a screen protector, just be carefull!

Why would you need a protector? Is it a touch screen or just a really pointy nose?

Why would you need a protector? Is it a touch screen or just a really pointy nose?

Including the two Canon G point and shoots I had, a 30D, a 60D and now a 5D3, I never put a scratch on any of the screens...until the 5D3 was a week old! Fortunately, I had a Vello screen protector on it. The LCD underneath is completely undamaged.

It's not like one intentionally scratches their camera. But accidents DO happen. It's cheap insurance, in my book.

"Cheap Insurance"? Hmmm...

The first thing I will note is that in all the years I've been shooting digital cameras with screens on them (about 15 years, so far), I've sustained damage to them exactly once. That's crazy, considering that I don't baby my gear, right?!! To me, my cameras and associated gear are tools to be used, not investments I baby so that I can retain some resale value. Maybe it says something about the durability of the gear, including the screens. I dunno.

The number of cameras/screens in that time is 7, so that's at least 7 protectors I'd have bought. Since protectors tend to get scratched and bubbled and marred fairly easily (from my limited experience with them on my cell phones over the years - I don't use them at all any more), I'll guess that I'd actually have bought and used twice that many, if I were someone that buys and uses them.

Looking up the Vello Screen Protectors recommended as "cheap insurance", I see that they go for about $25 each, plus S/H. So, I'd have spent between about $200-$400 over the years, so far, and would continue to do so. Remember, I've damaged a total of 1 screen in all that time.

Here's my way of dealing with it instead:

Vello Screen Protector: $25.

~~OR~~

Replacement Screen: $19. <--I do this.

My Real-Life Example:

I had a 5DMKII and a 7D each hanging off a Black Rapid DR-1 Double Strap while out shooting somewhere in Alabama. When I went to remove them, I should have removed each from the harness, then removed the harness. Instead, I pulled the harness up over my head, and the two bodies clanked together, causing this shattered screen on the 5DMKII.

1. The shattered screen.
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0172.jpg

Steps to replace after ordering and receiving the new screen for $14.99 + $3.99 S/H = $18.98 Total:

2. Items/Tools Needed: Hair dryer to supply heat to melt the old glue, replacement screen, and a suction cup to pull on the old screen (turned out to be too big, so I used a suction cup on a child's toy, as seen in the next two photos):
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0173.jpg

3. Heating the screen, suction cup attached and ready to pull on.
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0180.jpg

4. A little tugging and it pulled right off.
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0181.jpg

5. Removed the remaining old glue strip.
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0185.jpg

6. Prepped the new screen by pulling off the protective pieces.
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0189.jpg

7. Exposed the sticky part on the new screen.
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0191.jpg

8. Place the new screen and press firmly all around the edge after making sure the surfaces facing each other are clean of all dust, etc.
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0193.jpg

9. One last look at the old screen next to the new one.
Canon_Replacement_Screen-0196.jpg

Bottom line: I personally don't spend additional money on screen protectors to cover the LCD's screen protector already installed by the manufacturer and easily replaced.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back