Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS now or wait?

cfusionpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My tax return will give me a decent chunk of change in my pocket, and I want to use that on a 70-200 2.8L. With a new iteration out soon, would it be worth while waiting and getting that? Are the updates worth the price increase? I rented the original for a shoot back in November and was impressed with it, but I only used it for a day. Would I regret getting the I with the II coming out?

Word is that the new one is a decent improvement. Both in image quality and in IS performance. But it may also come out with a significantly higher price tag than the current version has now. Heck, the current version might get even cheaper when the new one hits stores, to clear out old stock.

Yes, was going to say... why not tempt yourself with the II version? ;)

The thing is, you're going to have to decide at some point: budget vs time. Are you willing to wait until the price goes down or you've got enough money - the risk is that newer models will come out, although generally lens prices tend to remain somewhat within their area anyway - or just go for the lower one, right now, even though there's a better one?

A high-end L-series zoom like the 70-200 will last for many years. Probably well over 10 years under light to normal amateur use. So, the question of how much to pay is one for you to solve. Right now, I see that 70-200 2.8 IS models selling for $1,200 used at walk-in retail. The new lens model is expensive, and the price on it will *probably* drop a bit over a one-year time frame, as the early adopters pay absolute top, full retail, and then demand will slack off, and the price might come down one or two hundred dollars.

I do expect a slight price drop on new old stock of the first-generation model,as Big Mike mentioned, as a way to help clear out stock. Not a big drop though, just a small one. The price difference between the new model and the old model will,in itself, make the older models VERY attractive, price-wise.

The other factor to consider is the old ones production and stock levels - it might be that its price lowers and then creeps back up again as people make a last moment grab at it to get it before the stock runs out. I suspect stock on the current version will run out before the new lowers in price to the same point in the market (if indeed it ever does get that low)

The price lowers and then creeps back up again as people make a last moment grab at it to get it before the stock runs out.

Figure out what the improvements are, and whether you need those. Don't read the marketing brochure, it will tell you it's better for EVERYTHING. Really try and suss out the differences. If you're not sure or don't know, then you don't need the updated version.

The price lowers and then creeps back up again as people make a last moment grab at it to get it before the stock runs out.

So a large purchased based on what other people do rather than what is right for ones needs? :er:

Scope out the options (as Iron said, figure out what the improvements) then make a decision. Any other way, one is making decisions without all the information.

If you have an endless bank account by all means...

You've got that nice 70-300 IS lens now, so you're not exactly suffering.

Whenever something is advertised to be improved, it often only matters to the pros. So if it's got to be the lens, I'd wait for the new one to come out, then buy the old one on sale somewhere. Either a clean used one from an early adopter of the new one, or a NOS old one.

Looking at your siggy, it seems like you pretty well have the SLR world covered. I think you're a prime candidate for a killer pocket camera like a Canon S90 IS like I just ordered.

You seem to have a cabinet full of nice lenses already.

You've got that nice 70-300 IS lens now, so you're not exactly suffering.

Whenever something is advertised to be improved, it often only matters to the pros. So if it's got to be the lens, I'd wait for the new one to come out, then buy the old one on sale somewhere. Either a clean used one from an early adopter of the new one, or a NOS old one.

Looking at your siggy, it seems like you pretty well have the SLR world covered. I think you're a prime candidate for a killer pocket camera like a Canon S90 IS like I just ordered.

You seem to have a cabinet full of nice lenses already.
Yeah, I'm in no real hurry wince I'm already pretty good with all my lenses. But I need a fast telephoto lens if I want to shoot low light sports (like High School football games) as a meager f/5.6 just doesnt cut it on a 50D's ISO limits. But I dont shoot professionally, so its really just my obsessive gear-collecting nature that wants the new one. I'll probably snag an original unless the new one isn't terribly more expensive. The on I rented performed wonderfully for what I used it for.

I also have every intention of sellng the Rebel, 17-85, and 70-300. I'll probably put that towards a new 2nd body. Likely a 7D.

As far as a pocket P&S, I keep an old sony cybershot around for when I need a tiny camera and I don't want to use my phone :)

Here's a thought, maybe offer your Rebel & 17-85 to one of the high school kids in the beginner forum who are looking for a good used camera at a fair price.

That's probably a good idea about the Rebel.

As for the lens, after seeing that Adorama and B&H both list it at $2,500, I'll probably end up with the first one. Are there any online retailers giving discounts/rebates? I can't seem to find new copies any cheaper than $1700-1800, and I'd prefer not to go used if I can avoid it.

Because of Adorama and B&H presence as two of the largest retails in the country, they generally have the best prices on new items. Trust me... the profit margin for photo equipment extended to the local camera shops is extremely slim.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back