placeonthecorner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raisingmissjune.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello folks.
So i picked up a 70-200mm f4l off ebay and it came today.. i was super excited.. but as soon as i tried it out i noticed that the auto focus was terrible.. it doesent seem to focus on anything.. the only way it works is if you keep pressing and releasing the trigger halfway and eventually it finds the focus... am i doing summit wrong?... what factors would effect this lens auto focusing?-- manual focus works fine.

Here is the problem - it's spelled C-A-N-O-N...

OK - just kidding there. I gotta make it real clear to all the Canonites i'm just kidding along or ELSE (i'll get spammed to vitual death!!!).

Maybe check the obvious things like fully charged battery, the lens has a good connection in the mount, clean contacts, etc.

From all reports, this lens, if i'm seeing it properly as the L model, has an outstanding reputation with some of my Canon shooting friends.

fm

with my Canon L lenses I made the experience that AF speed and behaviour depend on how well the lens is adjusted. the same lens would behave totally different.

Maybe your lens needs to see the Canon doctor ... just an idea.

well the guy now says he has never used it on auto focus (?!).. ive also read that these lenses have a rep for faulty autofocus.. im screwed i think...

Maybe he/she will be honorable and offer full refund - it never hurts to ask. Did the auction mention the lens' functioning performance? If he/she said it worked, well maybe that will leverage his/her conscience.

That simply stinks...

yea it defo said it was only 10 months old and only used twice... it should be still under warranty, but i think he got it from the states because it has a U.S. warranty card, and it came with the hood which i dont think it did over here in the uk.. worse case scenario, how much will cost to fix?.. i feel weeks of hastle commencing right.....now.

Does that lens have a focus limiter switch?

Does that lens have a focus limiter switch?

good point! I think it has.

if that would be set to short distance focusing, then any long distance focusing could be slow/quirky

if that would be set to short distance focusing, then any long distance focusing could be slow/quirky
Isn't it the other way around? You can always focus on far away things...but if the switch is set to ignore the close range...then anything within 3.?m can not be focused on.

So make sure that you have it in the full range setting. Another stupid question...but are you focusing on something that is relatively close...maybe even closer than 1.2m? Because it will never focus that close.

Go outside and give it a try.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back