Canon 70-200 USM L "OR" 70-300 IS USM ?

YoungRebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks,

First of all "HI to all of you"...Even if that is my first post I'm reading a lot in this forum and just wanna let you know how helpful all you guys are!!!

So, as you can see in the title I'm about to purchase a new lens.
I just bought a Rebel XTi after my Sony R1 got stolen....

Right now I'm using the Canon 28-105mm USM II lens and I definitely need a lens covering the Telephoto range....

After researching, reading reviews and comparing prices my two favourites are the:
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
and
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Len
s
-->both are available for $539,- at amazon.com

Now I'd like to know from you guys if anybody has experiences with one of them that he/she would like to share with me...

I'm interested in all the aspects like Image-Stabilization, not having it in the "L"-Version, weight and size and so on....

So, thanks a lot and enjoy the evening...

Pat

Hey folks,

First of all "HI to all of you"...Even if that is my first post I'm reading a lot in this forum and just wanna let you know how helpful all you guys are!!!

So, as you can see in the title I'm about to purchase a new lens.
I just bought a Rebel XTi after my Sony R1 got stolen....

Right now I'm using the Canon 28-105mm USM II lens and I definitely need a lens covering the Telephoto range....

After researching, reading reviews and comparing prices my two favourites are the:
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens
and
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens
-->both are available for $539,- at amazon.com

Now I'd like to know from you guys if anybody has experiences with one of them that he/she would like to share with me...

I'm interested in all the aspects like Image-Stabilization, not having it in the "L"-Version, weight and size and so on....

So, thanks a lot and enjoy the evening...

Pat

I have two of the 70-300 and never use them anymore as well they are sub par.. Get an L if you can. Yes they are heavier but much better.

It really depends on the "quality" of photos you want to capture. The 70-300 IS is a decent lens optically. Not on par with the 70-200 though. I find the 70-300 a bit soft wide-open and the IS a bit spotty. Maybe just the copy I had or just an older IS system. What you lack in reach with the 70-200 is more than made up for in IQ, build, etc. It is an incredible lens for a sub $1K L lens. Only knock is the lack of a tripod collar in the kit. But it's light enough that you can just mount to body if need be. Lack of IS is not death itself. With good technique and posture, you can do without. All of my shots with my 70-200 f/4 L were hand-held down to 1/30 with decent results. I like shooting at ISO 100 so shutter speed be damn! IS is great, but adds to weight and price considerably. I have no reservations about trading in my IS version for the non-IS. Just anything over 200mm I would reccommend IS especially hand-held.

I don't think the OP said the 70-200 f4L IS... I think they are considering the 70-200 f/4L non-IS. The price difference between the two is HUGE.

Go for the 70-200 f/4 L over the 70-300 IS. Image quality is better. Tripod collar is available for $140 extra.

I had a Canon 100-300 f4.5-5.6 USM (not the one you are looking at but similar without the IS) and recently upgraded to the 70-200 4L. The "L" lens is better in every way. It's sharp throughout the entire zoom range and even very sharp wide open. You can get a 3rd party tripod collar for it on ebay for $37 shipped but I have yet to get one because it isn't heavy at all. Go with the "L" lens. You won't regret it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks so far!

I just gotta say that I'm a beginner in photography and I'd say that my price-limit is definitely reached at $ 550,- for a lens.
So I wouldn't consider buying a "bigger" L lens. Not even the next 3-4years...
There are other things I'm having my "fund" for :D

having recently bought the 70-200L replacing my 90-300 f4.5 - 5.6.
It is a marked difference in quality. I had no doubt it would be the L lens i would go for,

And as for now its given me some great results. (got the tripod mount for both tripod and monopod)

Hope this helps

Most reactions

Back