canon 70-200L IS or primes?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by guitarkid, Oct 26, 2006.

1. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

just your opinion on this...i still don't know.

i have a 30D and 20D.

lenses are;

Sigma 10mm-24mm
    Sigma 70-200mm F4
    Sigma 18-55mm F2.5
    Canon (cheap) 70-300mm F4.5?
    Canon 50mm F1.8

i use the sigma 70-200 for everything and love it. i shoot mainly weddings and need something for low light. i just started shooting with the prime lens 50mm. i love it!!! looks so great with low light! very fast as well! i will look at a 24mm possibly or a 35mm. i need a little more room in the images and 50mm is zoomed in too much a lot of times for what i shoot.

i heard the canon 70-200L IS is really great. i need something fast that looks great in low light. i thought of getting a 135mm prime and a 24mm prime but then i would have to change out with the 2 cams and risk missing a shot. i really like the 50 prime and couldn't get over how nice they they look compared to my sigma 70-200mm. the sigma is nice but the prime was great.

anyway, thanks,
    steve

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't own it...but I've always heard that the 70-200 F2.8 IS...is the cat's @SS. With F2.8 and IS...you should be able to get sharp shots with natural light in a lot of places. I say go for it.

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    primes vs zooms.... thats a question only you can answer. From the sound of your post, it seems like you are leaning towards zooms. I personally shoot mostly with primes but switch to zooms when necessary. If you do a search, you will find one common thing people say about the 70-200L IS. Not one person regrets it. I have it... takes great pictures.. better yet.. great pictures but I find it way too heavy on long trips by foot. I've considered selling it many times to bring back $$$ for other purchases but just could never make that final step towards getting rid of it.

4. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you'll be plenty happy with the 70-200IS...especially since one can easily tell that you are more comfortable with zooms. if you were doing portraits, i'd more easily suggest some primes but for wedding work, the 70-200IS is just plain fantastic.

5. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

finally tried out the 70-200 IS by canon. not as heavy as i thought. nice and pro looking. the zoom isn't as much as i thought, meaning, there wasn't as much distance between the 70 and 200 as i thought there would be. IS was nice but as someone pointed out, possibly in another thread, i really don't think the 200mm warrants IS. overall, it's pretty damn nice and very steady but maybe not worth the $1600 price tag; ouch. i may get it but who knows. weddings would really have to pick up for it to be worth it i suppose.
    steve

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can you handhold a 200mm lens at 1/60 an get a sharp picture every time? I know I can't.

7. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

the 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Iis my second favorite lense. and its a close second. i always use this glass for weddings, and ill have a prime on my second camera. you cant go wrong with this glass, its amazing

8. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

actually, yes i can, about 80% of the time. that's why i don't feel it is worth it for me. i have even squeezed off shots at 1/30 with no issues. the only time it's a hassle is when i'm shooting 1/60 at 300mm. that's tough. that's tripod time. i guess i've had years of practice shooting video with no tripod. i've always been pretty steady.

9. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

the IS is more for things like sports photography ect. its true you may nit need IS at 2oomm, but at the same time, you might not need a tripod either, but they moth help produce sharper images and give you more flexibily in your exposure.

10. Tiberius

Tiberius TPF Noob!

IS is absolutely useless for sports most of the time. The point of IS is to be able to shoot at slower shutter speeds without blur, but with sports shots, since it's subject motion not camera motion, you'd still get blur.

11. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

niccce. if you can shoot at 1/60 pretty easily, and 1/30 sometimes...then how would you like to handhold a 200mm at 1/4 sec? :)

12. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

yeah, that's true. i'm still thinking of getting this lens. it's just so much money. few more weeks to think about it. thanks guys!