Canon 70-200mm F4

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Ptyler22, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been wanting to get a 70-200mm F2.8 since i got my camera and I just saw that on Amazon they are selling the Canon 70-200mm F4 non IS for $600. Is this worth it over getting the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 for like $725? Or should I wait and get the Sigma when I have the money?
    Thanks

2. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, interesting query. I would say go to a camera store and try out both lenses for yourself. Each one has its pros and cons. For instance, I am guessing that the Sigma will be slightly soft wide-open (but not THAT soft, not as much as cheaper lenses), and the Sigma is a little expensive. However, with the Siggy you gain a massive stop in light, equal to doubling the ISO, and you can achieve a really good bokeh. I think the Sigma doubles up as a pretty good close-up lens as well.
    On the other hand, the Canon f/4 loses that one stop compared to the Sigma, which can, sometimes, make the difference between getting a shot and not getting it. Likewise, you can't get quite as close with the Canon as you can with the Sigma. However, the Canon is a little cheaper and (according to users) is ULTRA sharp, even at f/4.

Long story short, I'm afraid it is up to you. I, personally, would get the Sigma. But then that's just me.

3. Ptyler22

Ptyler22 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, thanks, ya I would definatley like having the extra F stops, but I would also like canon's renouned sharpness, so it's a tradeoff either way.

4. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    The sigma is excellent wide open, too.

I'm still waiting on it to come to 4/3. 400mm equiv 2.8, about 600 f/4 equiv with a 1.4TC.

:er: