canon 70-200mm USM IS

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey, im not planing on buying this lens in the near future, but i've been wondering, can u turn off image stabilization? i think IS would be bad when shooting a moving subject, wuldnt it? like if u were panning, shooting a bird in flight, or a race car or sumthing...:er:

Actually no. There are two image stabilization modes, mode 1 and 2. Mode 2 is used for panning, mode 1 is used for everything else.

It has to do with how mode 1 corrects vertical and horizontal vibration. While mode 2 only corrects the vertical vibration, therefore you get the panning motion. I think I am correct, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Hope I helped

4 switches on the lens. 1 is distance, 1.4 m and 2.5 m. This speeds up the amount of time focusing. 2 is af or mf. 3 is on or off stabilizer. 4 is stabilizer mode 1 or 2, for type of panning. You turn off the stabilizer when using a tripod or monopod or rest of some sort. Hope that helps

The only thing IS isn't good for is when the camera is on a tripod. The 'whirring' of the motor (someone correct me if I am wrong, I am not actually certain it is a/the motor) trying to correct the 'shake' it assumes is there counter acts the purpose of it.

I dont' know if Canon lenses do this, but Nikon VR lenses automaticly detect a pan wether it be vertical or horizontal.

Just x Joey, yes you can switch between the two.

Most reactions

Back