Canon 70-300 IS or 70-200 F4L?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by mmmionno, Jan 6, 2007.

1. mmmionno

mmmionno TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am headed down to australia in about a month for a month and a half and i am deciding on a telephoto zoom lens to take with me. I am deciding between the canon 70-300IS and the 70-200F4L. Anyones input would be greatly appreciated. It is for use on a DSLR if that impacts anyones opinions.

Cheers

Andrew

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    How important is the extra 100mm of focal length?

3. 70-200 L has the better glass, but I'm getting to a point where my skills are good enough in proportion to what I'm shooting that I am willing to forego that kind of quality. The 70-300 is smaller, lighter, easier to carry around and still a very good lens.

Here's the point: I don't shoot for stock or to sell pictures. All I want are really good images that I am proud of. I can print them out, and/or give prints to my friends. Any of these lenses will be good enough for that.

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    if you want to shoot wildlife, maybe the longer lens will help you more. If you don't have a tripod, also IS will help alot

5. mmmionno

mmmionno TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So i bought the 70-200 because i got such a great deal on it today. I don't know if i am gonna keep it, i am gonna borrow a 75-300 to get a feel for the focal length differences. The 70-200 is clearly the better lens in terms of quality, but in terms of functionality i have yet to determine whether i will stick with what i have or not.

Cheers

Andrew

P.S. I still have 15 days, so someone try to convince me one way or the other. In addition i do shoot a little bit of stock photography, so maybe in the long run the higher quality will be better for me.

6. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    The 70-200 f4L lens indeed has better optics and build quality.

If you think the extra 100mm of focal length as well as IS is important to you, I'd go with the 70-300mm IS.

7. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    for what it's worth I have the sigma ex 70-200 f2.8. It has really good reviews and some say that it tops the Canon, some deny this. I don't know b/c I shoot pentax, but it may be worth the look. Not sure what your lens cost. The Sigma from B/H is 839 usd.

8. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    that surprises me, i figured you freelanced or something. you have some nice equipment (and nice pictures as well of course).

9. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think I'd go for the IS zoom over the big, heavy, and expensive L series lens. It will be more useful all-around, and will certainly be more useful when you get back home.

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    since you are at the 70-200 now, go try borrow a kenko 300 pro 1.4x teleconverter. It is supposedly cheaper than the canon extender and gives you those 100mm extra with little loss in image quality if stepped down 1 aperture stop. the image quality at 1.4x200mm might be simlar compared with the other lens at 300mm

11. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Someone asked an identical question here very recently.

In my opinion having used the Canon 75-300 IS i'd definitely recommend foing for the F4 version over the IS. Better optics without a doubt.

12. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    Doesn't surprise me.

Everyone says that the photographer creates the photo not the equipment. Professional photographers believe in the same thing. The type of work determines what is expected of the equipment in terms of durability, quality, reliability, and performance Its still a business with a budget that sometimes doesn't allow for the absolute best equipment at a premium cost.

I wouldn't be surprise of a lot of us on this board (including me) have been fortunate enough to afford more equipment than some professionals/freelancers work with everyday.

Besides... 70-300mm IS is still a "nice" lense.

My cousin has the 70-200mm f4L lens and takes lots of portraits of his family. Loves the lens but his daughter's latest interest in indoor ice hockey makes him wish he had the 2.8 version. As "johnboy" up there posted, I wouldn't discount other lens manufacturers.. often more bang for the buck.