canon 700D settings for sports indoor photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by skybeemo, Oct 16, 2017.

1. skybeemo

skybeemo TPF Noob!

what best settings I can use?

I have 700d with 18-55mm lens f/4-5.6 IS STM?

2. Tomasko

Tomasko No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    There are no "best" settings. You need to try it first and adjust accordingly. We can't tell you "hey, go 55mm, f/5.6, 1/1000s, ISO 100", because we don't know the specifics of your particular situation and scene. You will probably need to raise your ISO quite high to get high enough shutter speed, but I'm afraid 700D won't help you much with that.

Also I'm afraid 18-55 is not a good lens for indoor sports photography. You will probably find out it's too slow for your intended use.

3. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I used these settings when I was shooting a bit of basketball, admitedly in a pretty well lit stadium:

BBF, 135mm, manual exposure, auto ISO, f3.5 or below, shutter speed 1/800th sec, AI servo, single point AF, or expanded, CWA metering or spot metering depending on the target subject and how difficult the lighting is. If the lighting is really tricky but constant may set ISO manually too.

4. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    yes, but indoor sports can have difficult lighting -- at least an f/2.8 telephoto lens and full frame would be better

5. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Yes, it would have been better but I didn't have anything better than a consumer 70-300mm f3.5-5.6 at the time. Anyway, the arena was well enough lit to get some shots and for me it was more about the challenge to shoot in that kind of demanding environment.