Canon 7D Question

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know that with the 7D you can set the maximum ISO the camera will use when shooting with the ISO set to auto, but can you also set a minimum shutter speed too, for when you're shooting in aperture priority? I recall one camera I read about had this feature, but I'm not sure if it was the 7D. Thanks.

I dont remember seeing that, but as mentionned, check the user manual to make sure

Thanks guys. I don't actually own a 7D or I would have simply checked the manual. I'll try to find a PDF of it online and check it out.

UPDATE: Well, I went through the manual online and didn't find anything that spoke to setting a min. shutter speed. For that matter, I didn't find anything that spoke to setting a maximum ISO in Auto ISO. Hmmm... Maybe someone that owns a 7D can comment. What I did find out was that the 7D is one AWESOME piece of equipment. Man, it puts my T2i to shame.

Last edited:
Which significant feature do you think that the 7D has the puts the T2i to shame? I think it can hold its own considering it is half the price :)

FPS, High ISO performance, AF speed, ergonomics, viewfinder coverage, and controls are way better on the 7D.

In any event -- the top end of the ISO setting is limited to 3200 (400 in bulb, 400 with an ETTL flash attached).

In order to set the minimum shutter speed, put it into shutter priority. If you want to determine both shutter and aperture, put it into manual mode with auto ISO on.

Isn't AF speed more a function of the lens and it's drive system (i.e., USM, micro-motor, etc) than the body?

Hartley

p.s. I have a T1i and I've looked at the 7D, too - but it sure costs a lot more! That money could buy some nice glass..;)

Isn't AF speed more a function of the lens and it's drive system (i.e., USM, micro-motor, etc) than the body?
This is kind of true. The lens moves the physical pieces, but how that focus information is transmitted is dependant on how and how quickly the AF sensors in the body read and react.

p.s. I have a T1i and I've looked at the 7D, too - but it sure costs a lot more! That money could buy some nice glass..;)
If you do not need high burst rate (8fps) and high ISO (usable to 3200 and 6400), there's not a big need for the 7D.

Also, you can fire off-camera flash wirelessly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my T2i, but some of the additional customability on the 7D is pretty handy.

As for switching to shutter priority to control min. shutter, Rufus, I think you misunderstood the question. Setting any camera to shutter priority will allow you to control both min. and max. shutter speeds and every shutter speed in between. I'm talking about a function that sets a min. shutter speed when shooting in other modes. My thinking, and I could be waaay off here, is that if you have the ISO on auto and are shooting in aperture priority, once the camera dials down the shutter to the min. speed in an attempt to get proper exposure (say at dusk or in a church), it will automatically start dialling up the ISO to get proper exposure. At least that's how I think this feature works. I wish I could recall what camera I saw it on.

Kinda. It doesn't trigger with invisible radio signals or anything, it uses the pop up flash to visually trigger other flashes. It's OK, but it still means you have to have line-of-sight and fire the pop up flash. I know I was personally disappointed when I found out about that part.

Kinda. It doesn't trigger with invisible radio signals or anything, it uses the pop up flash to visually trigger other flashes. It's OK, but it still means you have to have line-of-sight and fire the pop up flash. I know I was personally disappointed when I found out about that part.

You just reminded me, that's what someone at one of the local camera stores said too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my T2i, but some of the additional customability on the 7D is pretty handy.

As for switching to shutter priority to control min. shutter, Rufus, I think you misunderstood the question. Setting any camera to shutter priority will allow you to control both min. and max. shutter speeds and every shutter speed in between. I'm talking about a function that sets a min. shutter speed when shooting in other modes. My thinking, and I could be waaay off here, is that if you have the ISO on auto and are shooting in aperture priority, once the camera dials down the shutter to the min. speed in an attempt to get proper exposure (say at dusk or in a church), it will automatically start dialling up the ISO to get proper exposure. At least that's how I think this feature works. I wish I could recall what camera I saw it on.

Probably on one of several Nikon or Pentax bodies. AUTO ISO is an area where both of those manufacturers offer the above desired implementation of AUTO ISO. Canon refused to implement AUTO ISO for quite a number of generations,and is still behind the aforementioned companies in the adoption and the implementation/capabilities of AUTO ISO.

Matt, I just noticed you own a 7D. Maybe you can answer the original question around setting a min. shutter speed in aperture priority. Have you come across anything like that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back