Canon 7D Question

It uses the pop up flash and it fires the pop up flash but you can configure it to fire the pop up flash only only on the signal trigger, not on the exposure.

I should have said 'AF system'. The 7D has a dedicated processor for both AF accuracy *and* speed. But a lot of AF speed is determined by the lens.

Maybe you can answer the original question around setting a min. shutter speed in aperture priority.

I have a 7D. You can't.

It uses the pop up flash and it fires the pop up flash but you can configure it to fire the pop up flash only only on the signal trigger, not on the exposure.

I should have said 'AF system'. The 7D has a dedicated processor for both AF accuracy *and* speed. But a lot of AF speed is determined by the lens.

Maybe you can answer the original question around setting a min. shutter speed in aperture priority.
I have a 7D. You can't.

LOL... well thanks for clearing that up. I can see you're definitely the man with the, um, answers. :) :)

If I can't have a 7D can I at least borrow yours so I can figure out the answer to my question? :)

the straight answer is No, you cannot set minimum shutter speed, just auto ISO limit. It calculates shutter speed on its own using some function of the focal length, not sure if IS is taken into account. I dont think it is.

the straight answer is No, you cannot set minimum shutter speed, just auto ISO limit. It calculates shutter speed on its own using some function of the focal length, not sure if IS is taken into account. I dont think it is.

Sadly, it doesn't take IS into account. It will set it usually one third stop above focal length (for example, 70mm will sometimes jiggle between 1/100 and 1/125). Again, another place where manual is a preferred method of shooting to get the results you want. Also it will set the ISO first and the shutter speed second. If it hits the 3200 cap, it will start reducing the shutter speed below hand-holdable values.

Thanks guys. I don't actually own a 7D or I would have simply checked the manual. I'll try to find a PDF of it online and check it out.

UPDATE: Well, I went through the manual online and didn't find anything that spoke to setting a min. shutter speed. For that matter, I didn't find anything that spoke to setting a maximum ISO in Auto ISO. Hmmm... Maybe someone that owns a 7D can comment. What I did find out was that the 7D is one AWESOME piece of equipment. Man, it puts my T2i to shame.

Most of the people that tried to answer the question are incorrect...

No you can't set an minimum shutter speed, but you also CANNOT set a maximum ISO for Auto-ISO.

The T2i allows you to do this, the 7D does not. The 7D limits the maximum auto-ISO to ISO3200 (although 6400 is completely usable anyway). You can't change it. I know the T2i allows you to do this, but the 7D does not. And yes, I've owned the T2i and I own a 7D.

The menus/manual was kind of unclear about this.... Does that mean that the pop up will fire before the shutter opens? This would be a VERY useful thing!

As far as setting a max on the ISO, when you can get images like this out of 3200, I don't see why you would ever need to set a max cap below that. And if you do, then you might as well dial it to what you want manually.

img7290.jpg

The menus/manual was kind of unclear about this.... Does that mean that the pop up will fire before the shutter opens? This would be a VERY useful thing!

Yes. In the option called 'Wireless func' the modes with the picture of the pop-up flash included (one will be a flash + pop up flash, the other will be flash (A,B,C) pop up flash) are the only ones where the pop up flash is involved in the exposure calculation. Basically the first two options only use the on board flash as a controller.

Thanks guys. I don't actually own a 7D or I would have simply checked the manual. I'll try to find a PDF of it online and check it out.

UPDATE: Well, I went through the manual online and didn't find anything that spoke to setting a min. shutter speed. For that matter, I didn't find anything that spoke to setting a maximum ISO in Auto ISO. Hmmm... Maybe someone that owns a 7D can comment. What I did find out was that the 7D is one AWESOME piece of equipment. Man, it puts my T2i to shame.

Most of the people that tried to answer the question are incorrect...

No you can't set an minimum shutter speed, but you also CANNOT set a maximum ISO for Auto-ISO.

The T2i allows you to do this, the 7D does not. The 7D limits the maximum auto-ISO to ISO3200 (although 6400 is completely usable anyway). You can't change it. I know the T2i allows you to do this, but the 7D does not. And yes, I've owned the T2i and I own a 7D.

Wow, I just assumed that if the T2i had it, the 7D would for sure. Thanks for the clarification. Still, I'd rather have the option of changing ISO by 1/3 of a stop than only by full stops, as with the T2i, and would give up the ability to set the max. ISO for that.

Also, you can fire off-camera flash wirelessly.
Kinda. It doesn't trigger with invisible radio signals or anything, it uses the pop up flash to visually trigger other flashes. It's OK, but it still means you have to have line-of-sight and fire the pop up flash. I know I was personally disappointed when I found out about that part.

Not always direct line of sight. If you are shooting indoors, then you shouldnt have an issue if say the flash is behind you. If in a closed room or a place with walls, the signal can bounce around. It is when you are shooting outside that the line of sight is more important as the signal cannot bounce off anything to hit the receiver on the flash.

First thing I did when I got my 7D was turn my flash to remote, fiddle with the menu in the 7D to try wireless flash and put my flash inside a bag and it triggered the flash without issues.

Most reactions

Back