Canon 7D

FrankLamont

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so I'm not usually one to jump at these teasing rumours, but...

7D Teaser: Canon EOS-1D / 1Ds / 5D Forum: Digital Photography Review

that, as well as a few other sites, have revealed a startling image of... a 7D.

It's a bit fast, after the 5D MK II.

Still, Canon can improve it a lot, so why not? Only problem I can see is... why 7D? Could be not a successor to the 5D range but a different range altogether.

I'm hoping Canon improves fps and more importantly, the AF. :blushing:

Until it is on the shelf and selling, rumors are a complete waste of time. ;)

from what i was reading elsewhere, canon is replacing the XXD (40D, 50D, etc) naming convention and using the 7D as the successor to the line. the 1d and 5d will remain, and will only increase in mk. numbers.

there is a rumor flying round that the new crop sensor camera (60D, 7D whatever canon call it) will have less than 15MP - a rumor given more fuel after the release of the G11 which now has a lower MP count than the G10. It could be that canon have realised that MP war is over and the ISO one has started!

A for names I have heard that canon want to move away from the 50D, 60D names since they are so easily mistaken with Nikon names (D60). Its not good marketing if your customers mixup your products and the competitions.

I have even heard some who think that we will get a 1.3 crop camera as opposed to 1.6 crop.

there is a rumor flying round that the new crop sensor camera (60D, 7D whatever canon call it) will have less than 15MP - a rumor given more fuel after the release of the G11 which now has a lower MP count than the G10. It could be that canon have realised that MP war is over and the ISO one has started!

I have even heard some who think that we will get a 1.3 crop camera as opposed to 1.6 crop.

the 7d, again from what i've heard from others, is going to be a 12mp FULL frame body priced to compete with the nikon d300s.

[ the 7d, again from what i've heard from others, is going to be a 12mp FULL frame body priced to compete with the nikon d300s.

If it is a full frame, its not going to compete with the D300, as that is a cropped sensor. The D700, at 12.4MP and a FF sensor would be the more logical choice, if the new Canon is also a FF.

[ the 7d, again from what i've heard from others, is going to be a 12mp FULL frame body priced to compete with the nikon d300s.

If it is a full frame, its not going to compete with the D300, as that is a cropped sensor. The D700, at 12.4MP and a FF sensor would be the more logical choice, if the new Canon is also a FF.

Right, but the "60D" will.

Rumor has it that Canon will release both a 7D AND a 60D (14.7MP crop sensor, video, improved AF-system).

the 7d, again from what i've heard from others, is going to be a 12mp FULL frame body priced to compete with the nikon d300s.

And ive heard it will be the price of a d40 :lol: can't see the point of talking about it till it happens

yea, i know the d300 is a cropped sensor. i think canon just wants to 1-up nikon with a full frame body at the d300's price point. but yea...if canon does do both a 60D and a 7D, its more logical to think the 60D will be the d300's competition, and the 7D is going after the d700.

And ive heard it will be the price of a d40 :lol: can't see the point of talking about it till it happens

one can only hope... :) ...and no, i dont see a point in speculating either, but just wanted to relay some stuff i heard. im not holding my breath any more than you are. :)

The rumors on the 7D are gaining in validity because of several things happening that have accurately predicted the release of Canon bodies in the past. One of them is a SKU number appearing in a major online retailers database. Of course this doesn't tell us what the specs will be.

Past sources which are credited as being reliable do say that it's going to be a full frame sensor targeted at the D300 market (price point). Full frame or crop, it doesn't matter, I've held for sometime as the cost of full frame sensors drops more and more bodies will be equipped with them. The only reason the 1.6 sensor even came into being is because of cost.

Lots of Kwanonians are saying Canon won't do it because of their dedicated lens market for the 1.6. It isn't out of the realm of possibilities that Canon will move to do away with EF-S lenses... they've done crazier things before.

If Canon does go FF on the 7D, it will catapult them well past Nikon until Nikons next release in that price point.

If any Canon d-slr camera is within $500 of the price of the Nikon D300s, then that Canon becomes a competitor for the D300s, no matter the capture format of the sensor. Many newer buyers do not put much stock in how the big manufacturers attempt to position their products; buyers are many,and varied, and many buyer look at a camera that costs, say, $1,XXX and they then compare other cameras that are priced at $1,XXX.

Canon and NIkon have been trying very hard to compete at subtly different levels. IN my estimation, the Canon 40D and 50D are in no way competitors with the D300...the bodies are very different in capabilities...and yet the marketplace considers the Canons and the Nikon to be competing against one another ,when the Nikon D300 is actually of a slightly different class than the 40D/50D bodies.

I think Canon's EOS 7D moniker, if it proves to be true, is their answer to the D700's feature set/price point/niche of FF with moderate MP count, built-in flash. AND, and this is the prosumer, MWAC hook, on-board video. Canon really does not have a D700 competitor right now, at least in terms of price and feature set and body robustness and AF capability: to make the 7D compete well against the D700 and D300, my feeling is that Canon finally HAS to do something about the AF system's design,performance,and specifications; a lot of consumers look at Canon's enthusiast/semi-pro bodies and see the 9 AF points, plus "hidden" assist points, and the see Nikon's 51 point A system with 3D tracking, color matrix metering,and so on, and the Canon systems' AF kind of loses the specification wars.

As the original Canon 5D, and later the Nikon D3 and D700 have shown, a full frame sensor with only a moderate (12 to 12.8) MP count delivers a mighty good picture...if the 7D happens to be priced within $500, or better yet,within $300 of the D300s, the Canon's feature set will look VERY,very tempting to tens of thousands of enthusiastic and semi-pro and pro shooters. Even if priced HIGHER by $500 than a D300s, the Canon's "7" name might be designed to draw an unstated comparison to the Nikon D700,and it would be an easy thing for Canon to continue to offer a great sensor, wrapped around basically the $350 Elan body-quality that they have been building in for so,so many iterations of mid-level models (10-20-30-4050D and 5D and 5D-II). Canon could easily price the 7D higher than the D300s and just a bit lower than the D700,and have a very successful "competitor" that would steal D300s and D700 sales.

I am anxiously awaiting to see what it becomes in production. If its a faster focusing full framer...I will get it! If Canon keeps MP count low(ish), I will pair it next to my 5DII and have both studio and wildlife full framers. Sounds good to me.

Most reactions

Back