Canon 7D

wet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone explain why 7D is such a big deal. It is more comparable to 50D or 5D or in between? Is the pricing comparable to 50D or 5D? I have friend who is thinking about 50D.

Can someone explain why 7D is such a big deal. It is more comparable to 50D or 5D or in between? Is the pricing comparable to 50D or 5D? I have friend who is thinking about 50D.

The 50D remains an excellent choice and, who knows, the price may come down.

For me the main things that are interesting about the 7D and will probably point me in that direction:

Weather sealing
100% coverage viewfinder
High ISO ability
Faster frame rate
Higher MP than my 30D (although I don't really need 18MP, the 8 of my 30D has been limiting)
19 cross-type AF points
Wireless flash control and adjustable on-board flash

I may play with the HD video, but that's not really important to me

Hopefully with the release of 7D, 50D/40D will come down in price. Between 50D & 40D, is 50D still a better investment?

Sorry I forgot to mention, if he mostly photgraphy his kid's soccer game etc.

Canon needed something to compete with Nikon's D40.

Hopefully with the release of 7D, 50D/40D will come down in price. Between 50D & 40D, is 50D still a better investment?
Depends who you talk to. The 50D has some nice improvements over the 40D, but a lot of people weren't happy with the 50D and it's sales haven't been what Canon was hoping for. A lot of my friends told me to get the 40D instead of the 50D when I was upgrading from my XTi and I haven't regretted their advice yet. But I'm sure there are a lot of happy 50D owners out there.

The 7D is such a big deal because anon has finally upgraded the AF system from a nine-point diamond with 10 hidden,invisible assist points to an AF system that can on-paper,compete with the 51-point AF system used in the professional D3 series, as well as the D700 and D300 and D300s.

The 7D is such a big deal because Canon has finally invented a color-sensitive light metering system, like the one Nikon invented in 1996. Canon has finally caught on to the idea of measuring RGB values to help its light metering system become "smart", the way Nikon has been doing since the 1990's.

The 7D is a big deal because instead of having a camera that loses out on paper to Nikon's semi-pro bodies (first the D200, then the D300) they have decided to do something much more than just iterate (the 10D begets the 20D, the 20D spawns the same old same old 30D, which gives rise to the virtually identical 40D, followed by the so-so sales loser the 50D). Canon has finally decided to really do some innovation at the pro-sumer/semi-pro level, instead of rehashing the same old body with a minor MP nudge for the past 5 years...

The 7D actually premiers some new technologies and some seriously semi-pro level specifications in a category where Nikon has really had Canon's number since the D200. The 7D is a lot more "camera" than the 20-30-40-50D revolving door models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back