Canon 80D Exposure

Gavin Buckle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Morning all.

Any idea why the 80D seems to battle with the correct exposure with a partially backlight subject.

I usually shoot with a fixed shutter & aperture setting and Auto ISO.

These pics were taken from an 8 minute video and the exposure level changed many times even though the natural ambient light stayed constant.
Image1_zpsgwkzsj7a.jpg

Image2_zps2zuj4iou.jpg

Did you have the metering on Spot or Evaluative? If Spot and the subject moves slightly then you will get a shift with the Auto ISO.

Another possibility is the light changed due to a cloud or someone walking behind you changing the light on the subject.

I have the 70D & 2 little Sony Rx100s iii & iv. When I am walking around taking video I keep the Auto ISO and evaluative metering. For shots when the 70D is on a tripod for full control I first take a few test photos and set my Aperture, Shutter & ISO. I then set the focus and switch the lens to Manual before switching to Video Mode. The 70D does a good job on keeping the focus, but I do not like the hunt/focus during the video even slightly.

Morning all.

Any idea why the 80D seems to battle with the correct exposure with a partially backlight subject.

I usually shoot with a fixed shutter & aperture setting and Auto ISO.

These pics were taken from an 8 minute video and the exposure level changed many times even though the natural ambient light stayed constant.

shooting video is different, for me (another model) exposure is correct for stills but varies when shooting video

When I shoot video I don't use auto ISO for this very reason.

Any minor shift in what the camera sees will affect the shot. Someone walking past the frame, reflection from the window of a passing car etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back